It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 07:32 AM   #1
(male)

rew70 HB User
Hand Pain

I recently spread a good deal of mulch using a pitchfork and yesterday morning I grabbed the bed sheets and got a sharp tingling pain in my palm of my right hand at the base of the thumb padding just to the right of the center of my palm.

Could I have pulled a ligament or strained a muscle? What can I do to ccorrect this?

Thanks,
Andrew

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Hand Pain

the most likely cause is simple overuse of a muscle that you are not used to using?anytime we do something differently than normal(for us) we usually end up using a muscle while doing it that just is not used to moving that way or being stretched the way it gets stretched,and it can easily become strained just because the normal strength is not there.heat/cold(whatever actually feels better to you) and some sort of anti inflammatory would probably be your best bet at this point just trying to get the inflammation down.it is also possible that a nerve could be involved to somewhere within the wrist for pretty much the same reason.

i would just take it a bit easy with that hand for like a week and see how things go.if the anti inflammatory doesn't help,it could be something a bit more in depth that just needs evaluation by your doc.but i would just give it some time and see how things go from here.if this gets worse,you do need to seek out your doc a bit sooner rather than later.it could be more serious,but like i mentioned,it "most likely"is just a strain from overuse.hope all goes well for ya,let me know how things are going,K? FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
(male)

rew70 HB User

Thanks! This is day 2 of the pain, so I'll take the advice and rest it as much as I can and see how things go this week.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

unfortunetly thats about all you really can do at this point.just see how things go and if it isn't better in a weeks time,just see your doc for an eval on it.good luck,hopefully things will be fine by the end of that week. FB

Old 08-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
(male)

rew70 HB User

Lucckily some R&R for the hand has done wonders. No massive pain, just some lingering discomfort. Thanks again for the reassurance.

Closed Thread