It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #1
(female)

della525 HB User
spironolactone edema and weight loss

Not sure where to post this, but here goes-I'm 39 years old and have slightly high BP. I had been having edema in my feet, ankles and legs for a couple of years. I kept complaining to my doctor and she'd just tell me to lose weight, I gained some weight over the past couple of years. BTW, I was this heavy before and never had swelling. My doc finally perscribed spironolactone in June, 2 months ago. I take 25mgs twice a day.
My edema is bad enough that I can feel it in my knees and thighs, my feet and ankles get so bad that it is visibilly noticable so I can't wear pants that expose my ankles, and I can't wear shoes. I have to wear either flip flops or slippers, they're the only things my feet will fit into. By the end of the day all I want to do is put my feet up, my legs feel heavy and stiff.

Since starting the spironolactone at first it seemed to help with the swelling, my legs felt better:not so heavy, I could move them easily, and my feet and ankles were noticabilly smaller. I also lost over 11 lbs in the first month, either thru my dieting or the spironolactone, not sure which.

Over the past week the spironolactone don't seem to be doing anything, it's been hot out and I'm swelling like before I started taking it. I haven't lost any weight, I've gained 3 lbs. Today I took an extra one and that didn't seem to do a lot for the swelling.

I have to see my doc tomorrow and she's going to flip because I haven't lost any weight. I'm afraid she'll take me off of it because of that. I don't want to go off it because 1) it does seem to take the edge off of the swelling, I still can't wear shoes but my legs just feel better when I'm on it 2)my acne has cleared up 3)for some odd reason it's increased my libido which was fairly low before.

Has anyone had any luck with this drug for edema? Does anyone have any ideas for me to convince the doc that I should continue with it? I'm so worried about this appointment I don't know what to do!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread