It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Croatia
Posts: 3
Vasilisa HB User
I ate mould. :( (Aspergillus, most probably)

I accidentally put some spoilt, rusty butter in sauce today, and both I and my parents ate it not knowing it. The sauce tasted a bit funny but we ate it anyway (damn me). Only THEN I checked the butter and saw it had black-coloured mould on it (expiration date: November 07) and smelt really bad (rusty).

I checked on the internet and I'm now suspecting Aspergillus (most probably A. *****). What might happen? Should I be (VERY) worried?

Last edited by Vasilisa; 08-09-2007 at 09:48 AM.

 
Old 08-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Kszan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,960
Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: I ate mould. :( (Aspergillus, most probably)

Aspergillus, from what I know, is usually only found in soil and can be breathed in by people who are gardening. It usually doesn't affect those who are healthy, but people who are immunocompromised (such as very sick people in hospitals or with AIDS and stuff) are more susceptible.

I don't think it's aspergillus. I think it's just your garden-variety regular mold. I would be more worried about other types of food poisoning than the aspergillus. You realize the penicillin is made from mold?

Anyway, I would just monitor how you are all feeling after having eaten the stuff. See how you feel and if you start feeling really sick then go to the doctor. But you never know, you may all be just fine and not have any problems. Some people just get more sick than others when they eat spoiled food. I personally can't do it, because it really makes me sick. But an ex boyfriend of mine would eat spoiled food all the time and he never once got sick. He must have had an iron stomach or something!

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Croatia
Posts: 3
Vasilisa HB User
Re: I ate mould. :( (Aspergillus, most probably)

Well, I'm still feeling fine, too.

If it's not aspergillus (it really seemed as if it was the case), could've it been penicillin? I did some "research" on the net and found that only aspergillus and penicillin can spoil butter the way it was (rusty with black spots). Is penicillin dangerous?

Last edited by Vasilisa; 08-09-2007 at 02:00 PM.

 
Old 08-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Kszan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,960
Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: I ate mould. :( (Aspergillus, most probably)

No penicillin is an antibiotic. It is a medication used to treat infections.

I really don't think is aspergillus. But again, if you're feeling fine and you don't feel sick at all, and if your parents are feeling fine, then I really wouldn't worry about it. I think you're probably going to live.

 
Old 08-10-2007, 02:15 AM   #5
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Croatia
Posts: 3
Vasilisa HB User
Re: I ate mould. :( (Aspergillus, most probably)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
I think you're probably going to live.
So it seems. We're (still) okay.

Thanks Kszan!

Last edited by Vasilisa; 08-10-2007 at 02:15 AM.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Mold infection-Aspergillus douglaswb Allergies 1 02-02-2010 03:34 AM
Dad probably being moved to the locked unit Gabriel Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia 21 01-27-2009 02:26 PM
how to heal the mould allergy? ciamontreal Allergies 1 10-09-2008 02:35 PM
Toxic Mould Exposure, My Family & Municipal Gov. Negligence bearsrfun Open to All Other Health Topics 0 12-06-2007 10:08 AM
Aspergillus Fumigatus Anthony John Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD 0 02-19-2006 08:56 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



ladybud (79), sjb (77), SnowBunny2020 (76), Titchou (68), JJ (53), janewhite1 (51), lenvegas (27), midwest1 (25), quincy (20), solofelix (19)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1166), MSJayhawk (999), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (667), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:23 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!