It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
What is going around? Please help! Whole family sick!

Everyone in my house is sick except me and I am sure I am next (knock on wood)
My son came in the other day and told me he had a bad stomach ache and a headache, I thought he was maybe too hot from playing outside.
He had been drinking plenty of fluids, mostly water all day so I am pretty sure he wasn't just dehydrated.
Well later that night he had diarreah and threw up about 4 or 5 times.
That was the first day. That night he was burning up with fever and said he hurt all over kind of like the flu it sounded like to me.
Well now, this 2 days later, so he's been suffering 3 days now, he says it feels like he has to go to the bathroom but when he tries to he can't, like constipation, and his stomach feels like someone is punching him in the stomach and stinging and burning at the same time he says.
Now my daughter and my husband have the same thing.
My daughter went to a friends house to spend the night as she felt a little warm to me but she said she was fine so I went ahead and let her stay.
Well I got a call in the middle of the night from her friends mother saying that she wasn't feeling well, complaining of a stomach ache and just not feeling well so she went to bed early and had woken up and thrown up twice.
I went to get her last night and she came home and hasn't thrown up since but she has diarreah and says she just doesn't feel good.
Is there any illnesses like this going around?
We got a new puppy last week also and she just got over an illness of diarrah and vomiting and not wanting to drink but she would eat. I wonder if somehow it all started from the puppy who caught something, got over it and is now passing it down to all of us?
I live in Oklahoma. Does anyone know of any viruses or illnesses going on in the area or anyone else experiencing the same thing?
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: What is gonig around? Please help! Whole family sick!

Hi Hamilton. I am sorry your family is sick.

I suggest calling the vet to see if what the puppy had could have infected your family. It may be some kind of parasite.

Or do you think you could have all gotten food poisoning from something you ate? Also check to make sure your air conditioning unit is working properly.

You and your family should see a doctor.

Last edited by ticker; 08-09-2007 at 05:39 PM.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Thank you, I called the vet and she said it could have been anything from what she ate to a parasite called coccidia.
My son was playing with his friend across the street and that night he came in and got sick. He told me that his friend had a headache and a stomach ache that day too. So probably what he caught was from him.
I took my son to his doctor and he said he caught some sort of bug and there wasn't any medication he could give him, just to drink plenty of clear fluids and bland foods until it passes and if he still has fever in 48 hours that hasn't broke to bring him back to be rechecked because he could start getting dehydrated.
He asked if we had been anywhere internationally or to Mexico or anyplace like that and I told him no, of course we didn't.
Just wonder what that was all about?
So the doctor would have confirmed if he thought it was food poisoning.
My daughter is fine now, she only had it for 24 hours but my son and husband are the worst. My husband keeps running to the bathroom once or twice an hour with diarreah, he's tried pepto bismol to stop the diarreah but it won't go away and has a horrible headache. I keep making them both drink lots and lots of water and my son was sipping on a 7up.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Also when our new puppy was sick I was the one cleaning up after her and carpet cleaned all of the areas where she got sick afterwards and I am fine, I didn't get sick.
Wouldn't that mean if I didn't catch it, it didn't come from our puppy?
I just don't know.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

ticker
thank you so much, by the way, I'm not going to attack you with a million questions if you are but are you a doctor?
Just curious, I've read some of your other postings too and you are very knowledgeable.
Thanks

Old 08-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Hamilton, thanks

If the puppy had something that you could make eveyone sick, I don't know for sure but I think it is possible that not everyone would necessarily get sick. Maybe it depends on each person's immune system, type of contact with the puppy etc. I am just speculating.

I am glad that things seem to be improving. Maybe Immodium D would help with your hubby's diarrhea?

Old 08-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

If it was a parasite, then everyone would be sick from ingesting the same parasite-born food or water, including the puppy who drinks your tap water and also the neighborhood because the parasite would be in the tap water. some people however, have their drinking water brought in so they would escape it.

Also, a virus affecting you guys and the neighbors could also make a puppy sick...food poisoning can cause you to be soooo sick. And would explain why everyone in the family came down with it.

but correct me if I am wrong---wouldn't food poisoning have started about the same time for each affected person. (within a few hours of each other) after everyone ate the infected food? it wouldn't wait a few days.

One year 5 members of my family got sick with vomiting and diarrhea and we thought we had all eaten identical foods. But no, on canvassing i found out there was one dish that had been left out too long, and was the culprit. Everyone who ate it was sick within hours of each other and most violently, I might add. Thanksgiving is the worst holiday for that, I think because of stuffing, turkey and dressing.

Closed Thread