It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
(female)

lilcee HB User
Don't know if this makes sense

A few months ago I had to have a lumbar puncture done. I didn't seem to have any problems from it (headaches) but lately it's been itching on my back where I had it done and there are tiny bumbs there. I also keep breaking out in other places that lasts for a little while and then goes away and comes out somewhere else. My back and the back of my legs itch alot. I had it done about 5 months ago and the itching started about 2 or 3 months ago.
When the Dr did the lumbar puncture, he had to do it several times because he couldn't get it right and finally had to get another Dr to do it. When he did it, I kept feeling pain down into my leg.
I guess I'm worried that they messed up something or something from that is causing my hives. I never had hives before like this. It's mostly pressure related - like when something is pressing on my skin or if I'm sitting for awhile my legs itch. How can I find out if somehow I got this from the puncture? Or is this not possible? I hope this all makes sense. I'd really like to find out what is going on. The itching is driving me crazy.
Thanks for listening.

Last edited by lilcee; 08-09-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2007, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Don't know if this makes sense

just what reason was the puncture done for in the first place?i was thinking a possible case of shingles til you mentioned this is actually occuring in many different areas.shingles stays on one nerve root and affects one dermatome.

based on your description on how this procedure actually went,there could be some level of damage at that site caused by the idiot who did not know what the heck they were doing and had to keep poking around in a very highly sensitive area.sometimes itching is actually stemming from a 'neuropathic itch'? i have this becasue of spinal cord damage but it can occur anytime nerves are actually damaged.its just another bit of neuro wierdness that stems from nerve damage at times.i do think obtaining an actual MRI of that procedure site could reveal a possible reason for this.just a shot in the dark here.but getting this evaluated by a neurologist at this point too wouldn't hurt ya know?someone not knowing what they were actually doing and poking around in your spinal canal ,it actually gives me shivers just thinking about it,but there are alot of areas that are just susceptable to possible damage anytime something is stuck in there.it just needs to be evaluated.obtaining that MRI there would really be a good place to start.i wish you luck with this.please let me know how things are going,K?i wish i could have been more help for you, FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #3
(female)

lilcee HB User
Re: Don't know if this makes sense

I had the puncture done because I was having a lot of headaches on the back of my head. They first did a cat scan and said they found nothing then they decided to do the puncture to rule out menigitus. Then another Dr looked again at the cat scan and said he found fluid around the back of my ear. I tried to tell my Dr I thought it was my ear but he wouldn't listen. It took me 2 trips to 2 different ER's to finally get it diagnosed. The first ER I had to wait 12 hrs to be seen. I was so dizzy and nausious. I had a pain in the back of my head around my ear. The Dr finally said I had vertigo and didn't know what the pain was from. Duh! Isn't that what his job is, to find out? Anyways, the insurance wouldn't pay for that trip because they said Vertigo wasn't an emergancy. Well, I kept throwing up and kept getting dizzy so my husband took me to another ER. They finally took some tests. At first they told me they didn't find anything but then the head Dr looked again at the tests and found the fluid and I got better after taking the meds. Now I have the itching going on and just wonder if they did something to my nerves. I'm so agrivated with my Dr. He just told me to see an allergist. Didn't want to take any tests. I'm thinking of finding a different Dr. Good Drs are so hard to find now days.
Thank you for listening.

Closed Thread