It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User
Question on heat exhaustion

Hi everyone!

We are having some terrible heat and I wanted to know if heat exhaustion can affect a person the day after being out in the heat? I don't know what the symptoms are but we have asthmatics with allergies in the family (not elderly though) and I wanted some info. Thanks everyone and stay cool!

Old 08-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: Question on heat exhaustion

I would hope not. However, I have seen effects a da or so after being in the heat.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

probably depends on the extent of the heat exhaustion as to how long the effects linger.. mild cases should clear up after proper cooling and re-hydration. I guess if you have more extensive medical problems it could linger. I was outside most of the day Wednesday (104F!) and it was difficult to stay hyrdated, I wound up with a bad headache from the heat. I wound up being fine the next day. It hit 107 here today!! The other thing to note is when it gets this hot, the air can be problematic for asthmatics as the ozone level shoots up. That's why they recommend for people to stay indoors. Keep cool!!

Last edited by wakkochic17; 08-10-2007 at 06:37 PM.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Yes, it can have an impact for several days.

The government website listed below has some excellent info on heat exhaustion, heat stroke, risk factors, etc.

Oh, and if someone is on meds it's a red flag as some meds can increase the risks.

Bethsheba

[url]http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/extremeheat/faq.asp[/url]

Last edited by bethsheba; 08-11-2007 at 04:24 AM.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:33 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhound View Post
I would hope not. However, I have seen effects a da or so after being in the heat.
do you know what the symptoms are?

Old 08-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The symptoms are listed on the webpage that Bethsheba posted the URL to. Copy and paste it (omitting the [url] and [/url] from the address) into your browser bar for complete information.

If I understand you correctly, you want to know if the symptoms of heat illness can be delayed? That is, the person will be perfectly fine immediately after exposure to the heat and won't become sick until the next day? No, that is extremely unlikely.

If on the other hand, you want to know if the illness that begins on the day of the overexposure can linger for a day or more after the illness starts, yes... that is quite possible, depending on the degree of illness sustained.

Last edited by midwest1; 08-11-2007 at 09:21 AM.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

Thank You. I went to that website. It is most helpful!

Old 08-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
...Copy and paste it (omitting the [url] and [/url] from the address) into your browser bar for complete information....
Midwest1,

Thank you so much for explaining how to find web addresses...although I haven't been able to figure out how to use them, I assume everyone else has...I really appreciate the help and the clarifications you asked about. We can't assume everyone interprets things the same way we do.

Bethsheba

Closed Thread