It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
(female)

jaderiver HB User
Spider bite, not sure if I should leave it or have it checked by a doctor

Last night I was in the garden pulling weeds out, not wearing garden gloves. As I reached down in between some plants, I felt something on my hand, noticed a spider, I brushed it off. A few mintues later I noticed a red mark on my hand, became a bit itchy. As time passed the area became more bruised looking and a tiny blister type thing formed. I do have some burning pain. In the middle of the night my hand, arm felt achy and I feel slightly nauseated.

This morning I looked for a web didn't see any and noticed a tiny burrow in the ground near the area where I was pulling weeds.

I live in Canada and I know for sure we do not have black widows or brown recluse in my Province. My neighbour said it could have been a wolf spider, she said they are ground dwellers. The spider was hairy, sort of brownish-grey.

For now I have covered the small bite mark with a tiny piece of gauze but I still don't feel well.. nauseated slightly and achiness in arm.

I don't want to run to the doctor if not necessary. Should I wait this out and let it pass, maybe this is minor or is it best to have spider bites checked out?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Spider bite, not sure if I should leave it or have it checked by a doctor

Hi jaderiver. I do not think this is something you should take a chance with. I recommend seeing a doctor.

Do you think you may have been bitten by a tick?

Make sure you get photos of the reaction, it is important documentation. Place something near it before photographing, like a coin or ruler, to give it size definition.

Last edited by ticker; 08-11-2007 at 04:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
(female)

jaderiver HB User

Hi, thank you for your reply and help

I know it was a spider, saw the legs,body, hairy etc, but unfortunately didn't catch or trap it in time.

There is a walk in clinic close by that will be open tomorrow morning. I will go there tomorrow. I plan on taking some pics with my camera and will place a coin or ruler for size definition.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

jaderiver, I am glad you will see a doctor. It is good you are getting photos.

Let me know what the doctor says okay? Good luck!

Old 08-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

a doc can dig in there and get a sample and have it looked at under a microscope. I thought Canada had FREE universal health care and you can just breeze in any time and it won't cost you anything. So why wait???
You need to get checked out, especially since you saw the spider.

My husband was bit years ago on the back of his knee by what we now know was a spider. He ended up with a black hole in his leg from all the skin and tissue dying...yuk. then the hole started to fill up with new tissue. It took a year before it looked normal.

GO TO THE DOC.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
(female)

jaderiver HB User

Yes true we have free health care. I guess sometimes I don't like going to the doc unless necessary and sometimes I am stubborn.

golfhat, sorry to hear about your husband, that sounds awful. I'm glad he recovered.

I did go to a walk in clinic this morning. He prescribed me antibiotics and said to keep a watch on the bite. Probably a reaction to the venom. The bite area is not opening up as in a lesion, but I can see two puncture wounds that are tiny, redness/swelling/bruising. I do feel nauseated and my arm/hand is cramping/achy.

He didn't take a sample of the tissue. Maybe because there is no open lesion?

Since I have left the docs office, for the past four hours, I am feeling worse. I actually feel a bit unsteady, weak somehow, hard to describe. So far I have taken one antibiotic pill, but I have taken these same pills in the past, no reaction.

My neighbour said if I get worse or the unsteadiness etc doesn't go away or increases maybe I should go to the ER.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
(female)

jaderiver HB User

Update..

I headed to the ER because the tiny fang marks opened up into a ulcer like lesion, small size. The doctor said it is infected keep taking the antibiotics I am on. I was on the antibiotics for 5 days before I headed to the ER. I mentioned to the doctor that I feel drowsy, lethargic. I often sleep 3-4 hours in the afternoon. This started after the bite. That was the end of the my visit.

Normally I am a healthy adult with no medical problems.

Now I have little blister type things that have opened up around the bite, opened up into small lesions. The skin is not rotting.

I decided to head back to the walk in clinic four days ago after being on these antibiotics for awhile which didn't seem to help. The doctor looked at the bite, said it was ugly, prescribed me a different antibiotic. I described my symptoms of drowsiness etc, he didn't say anything.

Now I am on my second dose of a different antibiotic.

So do I continue to leave this or do I need to go elsewhere, a different hospital or clinic? I don't know if what I am feeling is normal after a spider bite.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by jaderiver; 08-23-2007 at 06:02 PM.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:15 PM   #8
(female)

kkl HB User

Get a second opinion if your symptoms do not improve. My brother had two spider bites on his neck and refused to see the doctor. Consequently, his neck swelled up and the tissue surrounding the bites become necrotic. He had two ugly looking scars around his neck for the longest time. It still does not look normal, and it's been several years.

Closed Thread