It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 03:08 AM   #1
(female)

saiyukifg HB User
Health restrictions

I am in such a rut. I need help. Due to esophogeal varices and a prescription of nadolol (beta blocker) and prednisone (steroid) I am gaining all the weight I've lost since high school and then some! The steroid makes me snackish and hungry and my nadolol lowers my heart rate because of the varices. Since I have esophogeal varices, I am not allowed to do any cardio work because it could cause me to bleed internally and I've already had two bleedings. The third one means I have to have surgery to redirect the blood flow from my heart to my liver.
I desperately want to lose weight and be more happy with my body (even if it's trying to kill itself) but exercise is limited and dieting while on Prednisone is like nailing jello to a tree. D=<

Someone help me!! TT.TT

Old 08-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Health restrictions

With prednisone, you're fighting a seriously uphill battle. You *will* gain an maintain weight as long as you're on it, unfortunately, so some amount of acceptance is required until you're able to start being more active (and hopefully lower or omit prednisone from your regimen). That said, eating very clean will help to minimize fat gain as well as to help your body get into its healthiest condition. Try to keep a lot of fibrous, nutrient dense foods around, and dont even buy sugary, fatty or processed foods if you can help it. Then meals and snacking will help keep you full longer as well as being very nutritious. Drink a lot of water, snack healthy, and don't be too hard on yourself. Your health is most important and for the moment, weight isn't entirely under your control so don't let that be a major concern. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 01:58 AM   #3
(female)

saiyukifg HB User
Re: Health restrictions

Is there any way to exercise effectively on a beta blocker or with varices? The whole point of exercise is to get your heart rate up, but since the drug works against that, is there even a point?
I am getting seriously depressed watching myself gain weight. It makes me feel so unhealthy and unattractive. There has got to be a solution, right?
Would adding fiber, like metamucil, to my diet each day help me to feel full longer and maybe contribute to some lost weight? What kind of exercise will help shape and tone me, if not fight off pounds, without killing me?

Closed Thread