It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
(male)

Patrician HB User
Tick?

Yesterday I found something thin and dark sticking out of my foot. I tried to pull it out, but it was stuck very tight and ended up causing a lot of bleeding.

I panicked a bit and just cut it off using scissors, but now I'm a bit worried whether or not it could've been a tick.

Any way to determine that?

Old 08-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Tick?

Hi Patrician. Did you save it?

I think it is possible it was a tick. They can be difficult to remove. Be on alert for any symptoms such as flu-like, fatigue, swollen glands, rash, etc.

Ticks can transmit several serious diseases, including Lyme disease. Although only about 50% of people who have Lyme ever get a rash, a bulls-eye rash is a definite sign of Lyme. So be on the lookout for this also, but remember not everyone gets a rash.

For future reference, please know the only safe way to remove a tick is with tweezers by grasping the mouthparts as close to the skin as possible and pulling straight back. Do not put any substances on it such as alcohol, Vaseline, fingernail polish etc. Do not burn it with a hot match. These things will irritate it, and it will regurgitate into your blood. Do not pull it off with your fingers. This squeezes the body like a syringe. Improper removal increases the risk of infection. Save the tick in a Ziploc bag. It can be tested for disease at IgeneX Lab in Palo Alto, CA.

Hopefully you will not have any problems. The Lyme disease board on this site is great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread