It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User
What caused this wierd jaw problem

Hello,

I have something really strange going on with my jaw and I don't know where to start to figure it out. This morning I woke up very sick...(headache, vomiting)...but the jaw thing is what disturbs me the most. I don't recall ever having a problem like this before.

Okay, first...my jaw hurts really bad on the left side (right where the joint is). I usually have an overbite...but with the swelling or whatever it is...I have an underbite! I cannot close my teeth together all the way...not just because of the pain...I physically can't. I don't remember doing anything to injure my jaw. I just went to bed and woke up like this. I mean...I can't chew ANYTHING.....it really stinks...

Any clues with this??

Thanks,
-Vers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: What caused this wierd jaw problem

More likely than not, it's nothing to be overly concerned about. However, I must ask, when have you last had a tetanus shot? Are you having muscle spasms anywhere else? Can you swallow liquids okay?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

I'm swallowing okay and have no other muscle spasms. I'm confident it is not Tetanus...plus I am careful to keep to date with my vaccinations. I was just wondering what may have caused it....it seems so random and sudden. And maybe if there is something I can do to help it get back to normal quicker.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:49 AM   #4
(female)

kkl HB User

Not sure about the vomiting, but it sounds like a TMJ problem. Do you grind or clench your teeth at night?

Old 08-18-2007, 01:58 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

It does sound like it might be TMJ or a muscle spasm... I would say to try alternating warm moist heat and ice along with anti-inflamitories for a day to see if that helps.

A silly question... do you still have your wisdom teeth? It could also be an impacted wisdom tooth that has become infected... this would cause swelling and the pain might not hit for a day.

If this is not better by monday a trip to the Dr is in order, but if it gets any worse (ie- spreads to the other side or completely locks) or you develope a fever, chills or any other sign of infection I would say to head to the ER.

Closed Thread