It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 05:02 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
Question food poisoning, 24-hour bug, or something else?

I had some really strange stomach problems that started yesterday within a half-hour after lunch, and are still lingering on now, as of 7:30 AM the next morning.
Here's the story:
Yesterday after lunch, I began to have some stomach pains in the left, upper part of my stomach, along with a pain in my back at the same place. This slowly got worse all day, speading so that my whole uper abdomen right under my ribs hurt as well as very low, between my hips. At first, I thought it was gas because the pain seemed to move, and lessen in certain places depending how I was sitting. But then sometimes the low pain felt like my ovaries were in serious pain, and other times it felt like when I have a flare-up of irritable bowel- as if the lower part of my large intestines were swollen.
This kept gettng worse as the evening wore on, and at one point, I was in a restaraunt, and I really started feeling like I was going to throw up. Up until then, it had been pain with no nausea. I had a few sips of water, but that just made it worse. So I had to drive home 45 minutes in the car, and I was in really bad pain, and I was nauseous on top of it. I was 90% sure I was going to throw up. But as I was almost home, the pain in my upper abdomen subsided a little, and I was just left with the lower pain between my hips. The upper pain came back again as I got out of the car, but as I got ready for bed, that pain subsided again. I took two Pepto Bismol tablets, and crawled into bed. I also realized I had a fever at this point, which only lasted a couple of hours. My upper abdomen wasn't painful anymore. I just had a bit of a nauseated feeling. But in my lower abdomen, there was stabbing pains. I no longer felt like I was going to throw up. I just had stabbing pains in my lower abdomen, and if I moved, the pain in my upper abdomen would come back a little bit. All this time, I still had that dull pain in the left side of my back- it was up high, just under my ribcage.
I kept waking up every hour, and I'd feel okay when I first woke up, but then I'd move, and the pain and nausea would come back. It wasn't until 3:30 AM that I felt okay enough to get up and drink some water, since I hadn't eaten anything since the afternoon, and only had a few sips of water at about 8:00. From 3:30 AM when I got up to drink some water until now, I don't really have any actual pain in my stomach. Just that funny nauseous feeling- like I need to lie down.
I ony went to the bathroom once when I got home from work yesterday, and it was of firm consistency and didn't relieve the pain at all, and then this morning, I got bad cramps like when I have dairy (I'm lactose intolerant), and I went to the bathroom, and it was a little bit loose.
So, what was this? Since it started after lunch, I suspect I ate something bad. But usually, when you get food poisoning, don't you throw up or have diarrhea? I didn't. Is a fever ever a symptom of food poisoning?
And this was a lot different from when I've ever had a 24-hour stomach bug or anything. Usually, I get a pain right in the middle of my stomach with that, and then I throw up once or twice and/or have diarrheah. This was weird with the pain in two different places, and the type of pain it was.
Or was it something else? What was the pain in my back? Kidney? My stomach?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by SentenceDoing; 08-18-2007 at 05:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 01:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: food poisoning, 24-hour bug, or something else?

Most likely, it is either a stomach virus or food poisoning (yes, fever often accompanies food poisoning). I'd take some tylenol for the fever, aches & pains, take it easy today, drink liquids (not fruit juice or alcohol) and expect to feel better by tomorrow.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

thanks for your reply!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

You're welcome. Are you feeling better?

Old 08-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Yes, much better. The only symptom still lingering is that I can't eat as much as I usually do. I felt almost completely better the same afternoon I posted. It lasted for just about exactly 24 hours, so I guess it must have been a virus. Thanks for asking.

Closed Thread