It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
(male)

space1999 HB User
severe pain in head, had for years but getting worse, any ideas?

Afternoon all.

Im 33 and since i was about 10 i have been getting severe for want of a better word headaches, but not the normal type headaches. These can last for anything up to a week, 24hrs a day without the pain dulling. The pain can be so painful that i wince with it and at times can cry with it for hours, and my left eye waters as the pain is on that side of my head. The pain is like a throb that happens about every 15 - 20 seconds when really bad and causes me to shake a little.

No pain killers seem to help, the light does not affect me or noise. Years ago my mother took me to the drs and i ended up have a scan etc at a London hospital but all tests came back fine, the dr said "Growing pains!" around 23 years later i still get these bad heads from time to time, and my dr now still says its nothing to worry about?? i have even seen 2 other dr's who dont seem to worried about this.

My head feels like it wants to split open and my brain feels like its swelling, the side of my head feels tender and im in so much pain with it, i cant keep going through life with this, it drives me insaine when i have it, i have had it for the last 36 hrs and its getting very bad again.

Any idea's of what it may be or anything i can do to ease it ?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
(female)

helz16 HB User
Re: severe pain in head, had for years but getting worse, any ideas?

It sounds like you're getting migraines. I don't know what you can do to ease them, other than take pain killers, but if they don't help then that's not much use. Perhaps you could try looking into alternative therapies such as homeopathy? Many people turn to it when conventional medecine lets them down, so it could work for you. Try looking on the web for sites about migraines too, as you could find some help there. All the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
(male)

space1999 HB User
Smile Re: severe pain in head, had for years but getting worse, any ideas?

A few people have said before that it may be that, but im not so sure, but its got to the point now when i will consider anything and try anything to cure or help get rid of the pain.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
(female)

all things HB User

Try eliminating sugar or possibly wheat/gluten. Horrible headaches can be dietary in origin. I know someone that stopped drinking soda and her head AND feet pains went away. The thing is...reduce the things in your diet that make you acidic, and strive for a more alkaline pH.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #5
(female)

Mee_Dee HB User

Its sounds like you may be getting migraines and possibly the cluster kind. The cluster kind last longer. I feel for you so much. I have suffered with migraines for years and only a few types of medications help. I have also been hospitalized for a really bad one that I had. I take Fiorinol with caffeine and aspirin and I'm not sure what else is in it. Tylenol does nothing for me and it did nothing for my father when he had pain of any kind. Some people's chemistry just doesn't work with Tylenol so I always have to request alternative meds. I have to take meds. with buffered aspirin or something besides Tylenol. My migraines are mostly hormonal but I also get them if I don't eat or sleep right, don't drink enough or get stressed out. It's basically a balancing act for me. My poor daughter gets them too. They are hereditary in my family. I know how frustrating it can be. There are lists of things that can be avoided that can help to prevent migraines but you have to stick to them strictly and sometimes I don't and pay the price.

Another thing you might want to try is to keep your sinuses moist. Migraines can cause swelling of the sinuses or vise versa and I have a lot of trouble with mine. Migraines and sinus problems can definitely be connected to each other. Sometimes I think when my sinuses are real dry it has caused me to get a migraine. The over the counter nasal spray along with meds. gives me some relief. If I let my sinuses get too dry I am in trouble. There is a lot of information on migraines and sinuses too on line if you have a chance to look into it. It sure does sound like that is what you get. I am not always sensitive to light either. Sometimes it just plain hurts. I've come on line a few times myself to forums in desperation. I sure wish I could give you all the answers you are looking for but I hope something I've suggested may help a little. Just know your not alone. I know how you feel. Don't give up on trying to get help. Have you seen a neurologist, an ear nose and throat doctor or even the dentist. TMJ(it's a jaw misalignment) can also cause headaches. I have that also to add to my frustration. I sure hope you are able to find a way to get some relief. Hang in there. I know how you feel. Dee

Last edited by Mee_Dee; 08-21-2007 at 02:02 PM.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

I think that it would be well worth seeing a doctor again.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
(female)

Candy88186 HB User

You may have neuralgia....the nerves in your face and head become inflamed..
I have had it off and on for years. It is like a poker hits your head....

Darvocet is the only thing that will help mine. Also if I lay on a heating pad
on the side of my head. Mine moves all around my head and/or chin...It makes my head sore when I comb my hair....

Darvocet is a perscription pain pill....Sometimes I take two if it is really bad...

Closed Thread