It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #1
(male)

drummaboy2007 HB User
Anxiety Disorder or something else???

Hi
I'm an 18 year-old male leaving for college this fall. I am active in a variety of sports and other activities. I am in good shape; 6'0" 180lbs. A recent physical at my family doctor yielded a report of "excellent physical health."

I, however, am not totally convinced...

Back in February, while on a college visit, I fell ill with severe dizziness. At the time, I also was sick with a cold or similar virus. I went to the ugrent care doctor where they proceded to send me to the emergency room- the doctor believed it may have something to do with my heart (I thought he may be right, as I've the occasional heart palpitation in the past- but nothing regular). At the ER, they ran multiple blood pressure checks (which were high, maybe due to anxiety), a full blood workup, EKG, and chest X-Ray. All tests came back normal.
I then went to my normal doctor who checked me and said I was fine- probably an inner ear thing. I also went to the neurologist and had a head MRI and EEG- both came back normal.
I am now at a dizziness clinic where they have diagnosed me with high frequency vestibular deficiency and BPPV.
Though with the therapy, the dizziness seems to be getting better, I seem to noticing all sorts of other "symptoms." Random things such as random abdominal pains- short pains in various places of my abdomin; random headaches; fatigue; unsteadiness of my hands; restlessness; difficulty concentrating. I have not had any weight loss (with the exception of my typical few pounds due to doing things in the hot summer weather). My appetite and sleeping patterns seem to be normal.

All in all, I'm wondering if this seems like I'm being paranoid or have some sort anxiety issue, or if it's a physical problem. I worry becuase I'm going to college, and I don't want to have to worry about health issues when I'm away from home, etc.

Thanks for your time- Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
(female)

gardeniasama HB User
Re: Anxiety Disorder or something else???

I went through something similar - I was feeling weird, sort of dizzy and faint. I got sent for the EKG, bloodtests etc and when I said my chest felt like it had bruise on it they sent me to the hospital. All the tests came back fine. I have so many annoying little things wrong with me like you. I also don't really have a job or go to school because I'm worried too. I'm sure that some of my symptoms are from anxiety, but it seems like something is physically wrong too... anyway, I had more tests done this week and if nothing is wrong the doctor might be putting me on anxiety meds. Who knows, maybe that will cure all my problems.

I don't really have advice but I wanted to share that I know how you feel.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
(male)

jools182 HB User
Re: Anxiety Disorder or something else???

My symptoms started about 7 years ago when I was sat at work. I suddenly felt as though I was falling backwards off my chair along with the same falling kind of feeling you sometimes get when you are falling asleep. These feelings only lasted a few seconds and I seemed to be able to snap myself out of it. About 2 or 3 weeks after these symptoms I had a really bad dizzy spell, I just felt like I was losing consciousness, felt really confused and scared. I went home and went to bed for about a week, feeling like I had flu or something. Really weak and shaky and cold and dizzy.

After that I had occasional bouts of dizziness and feeling unsteady on my feet but eventually seemed to return to some normality although I never really felt 'right'.

A year or so later I started getting dizziness along with feeling flu like symptoms. I could usually tell in the morning if I was going to have a bad day, just a feeling. My symptoms then started with cold feet and lower legs and just feeling generally grotty.

I have had periods where I felt ok, but not anymore. I remember feeling ok for a good few months then one day I had stabbing pains in the front of my left shoulder and I was feeling clammy. I went to the cinema and while I was sitting there I suddenly felt like the room had been turned upside down and almost fell of my seat. After that I didn't feel good again for a long time.

Since then it seem like I have a constant level of dizziness which never really goes away along with nausea, chest pain etc

Over the years I have often thought there might be a heart problem because I have had chest pains since being about 16, but the tests that have been carried out so far have been negative. I even remember asking my parents when I was about 8 if children could have heart attacks, not sure why!

I used to be fairly active, mountain biking , walking, gym. I even did a bungy jump in New Zealand which I thought I'd never do, but these days I don't do anything because I feel so bad

During this time I have been checked for Marfans Syndrome, have had ECG's blood tests, exercise tests and echoes of my heart, and tilt tests for blood pressure. I recently saw a neurologist who suggested I may be suffering from Basilar Artery Migraine. He put me on beta blockers which seemed to help a little bit for a while but then I think I passed out, I was so scared I went to the Emergency dept who said there was nothing wrong with me. I went to see my GP and he took me off the beta blockers.

I have been to the Emergency Dept about 4 or 5 times over the years because I have felt so bad like I was about to pass out

My symptoms seem to be getting more frequent these days and lasting for much longer periods of time. I have this constant dizziness, and worse still this feeling of being unreal, dreamlike, numb, somehow detached from reality

I have not had a full week in work since last October when I had a really bad episode of feeling like I was losing consciousness; I was really pale and cold.

I feel like crap the whole time and my GP doesn't seem interested in my symptoms or how scared I am.

I used to be quite sociable and I like the outdoors life and going to the gym etc, but now I am scared to go anywhere. Last time I went a decent walk I got the same symptoms again, feeling like I was passing out and feeling numb, and it also happened last time I went out on my mountain bike, so now I don't do any exercise.

I have lost my girlfriend of 2 and a half years because of this and I think I will lose my job

I have trouble leaving the house these days as I am worried about having a bad attack when I am out somewhere

I went back to see a cardiologist as my Mum has contacts and got another tilt test which proved negative, however he now wants to do an Angiogram soon just to make sure, but I am so scared about this test. I have read about the risks and you can have a stroke, heart attack, kidney failure etc. My GP has expressed reluctance in letting me have this test and I don't know what to do. I had a stress echo about 2 weeks ago but that didn't show anything.

I have also been to see an ENT and have had balance tests which seemed negative

I have been feeling really bad the past few weeks. Feeling lightheaded as though I am about to pass out almost constantly. I am also getting pains in my left arm and shoulder that can last a few hours or even days. along with occasional chest pains and back pains and jaw pain. I am falling apart

Closed Thread