It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #16
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User
Re: well... the danger on Splenda is coming out....

Is Stevia a natural thing? Is it sold in most stores?

Old 09-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #17
(female)

coty HB User

Fructose shouldn't be bad in itself since it is just the sugar found in fruits.

About the comment on Chlorine.... I would not freak put about it since Chlorine is an ion that it is present in our bodies! It is everywheres and it is needed for many neurological processes.

Now, for people that is diabetic, Splenda might still be the best option, I mean, they cannot consume regular sugar and type 1 diabetics cannot eat honey, so what would they use?
And remember too, the fact of getting serious side effects it is very related to how much you do consume. Whatever I consume in excess will harm me. When you read some of the studies that hey've performed in rats and you try to convert the proportions to human weight, the ammount of sweetener youshould eat is too much!

But it is really good to keep yourself informed on whatever product you are using and think for yourself if you want to take it given that you know what the consequences are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2007, 12:30 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielyn View Post
No, it isn't natural.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #19
(female)

Locket25 HB User

We have been using artificial sweetner for over 20 years but decided to give sugar in our tea a go because of thinking natural and we have both gained weight Going back to Sugarine after all they do say sugar is "Pure White and Deadly" so I suppose the best thing is to give up sweet things.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #20
(female)

Locket25 HB User

Stevia is completely natural but then again so is Marihuana <sp and even Opium from the poppy but both can be very deadly along with heaps of things we grow......
I have ordered a Stevia Plant as many people have said they dry the leaves and us it to sweeten and even eat the leaves they are so yummy. I was told they use Sevia in toothpaste etc. as an antiseptic so maybe tomorrow will pay $50 for a tiny bottle at the health Shop but it does seem extremely over priced and I wonder how you measure the stuff as expensive as gold does it have a dropper? I know it is cheaper on e-bay but I do not use the net to send money anywhere.
Kay

Old 09-03-2007, 11:32 PM   #21
(female)

rush-rulz HB User

I would take these dangers with a grain of...Splenda. I ******d it, and the information I see on its dangers seems to all be posted by people with a biased interest in shooting it down. I mean, when the URL is something like "splendaisbad" or whatever...

Give me something from the AMA, a peer-reviewed medical journal, the NIH, something like that. Not everything arriving in one's inbox is the truth. Just look to Snopes for that. In fact, they posted something on asparatame and lupus. I don't see Splenda per se, but if the rumors spread enough, they will.

Everything can be bad for you if you have too much of it. Sugar isn't inherently evil. Truthfully, even diabetics can have a little if they're careful with their glucose levels.

There's chlorine in the drinking water, by the way. Of course, you could try to bypass this by paying $2 a bottle for city tap water that's been filtered and has a nice label on it, maybe with a picture of a mountain stream...eh, it's your money.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #22
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html View Post
No, it isn't natural.
It MOST definitely is natural. It is a noncaloric herb, native to Paraguay, has been used as a sweetener and flavor enhancer for centuries. I'd call that pretty natural.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:09 AM   #23
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielyn View Post
Yes, it's natural, you can get it just about anywhere, health food stores and I believe even many grocery stores sell it. It comes in liquid and powder.

Native Americans in Paraguay have safely used stevia for hundreds of years. Zero calories, zero carbohydrates and a zero glycemic index. You can cook and bake with it, although I never have.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:29 AM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Stevia doesn't taste good at all, it has this really weird aftertaste and it's very strong. I think a lot of people would have trouble getting used to the flavor.

I personally would reccommend Agave Nectar over stevia any day. Agave is safe for diabetics because of its low glycemic index, and it tastes great in tea or on fruit or whatever. I haven't tried it in coffee yet, but I have a feeling it would be similar. It's a similar appearance to honey, but not as thick.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #25
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxandKay View Post
Stevia is completely natural but then again so is Marihuana <sp and even Opium from the poppy but both can be very deadly along with heaps of things we grow......I have ordered a Stevia Plant as many people have said they dry the leaves and us it to sweeten and even eat the leaves they are so yummy. I was told they use Sevia in toothpaste etc. as an antiseptic so maybe tomorrow will pay $50 for a tiny bottle at the health Shop but it does seem extremely over priced and I wonder how you measure the stuff as expensive as gold does it have a dropper? I know it is cheaper on e-bay but I do not use the net to send money anywhere.
Kay
You can go on for days on that comment, with every food grown on the planet, I suppose.

You have to use so very little of it, it doesn't cost a lot to use, really.

Yes, I read that Stevia inhibits the growth and reproduction of oral bacteria and other infectious organisms. Regular users of stevia as a mouthwash or for brushing teeth (added to toothpaste) have reported an improvement to bleeding gum problems. ANd....another good thing, most of it today is produced in China, grown organically without the use of pesticides.

I guess inherently, people are born liking the taste of sweetness, and will do whatever it takes to obtain it and get by. Every culture and nation does so and has for millions of years. I mean, when mankind found honey, they probably rejoiced, even though they were eating bee vomit, they didn't care. It still tasted good! And still does!

Getting technical, many, many plants taste sweet and sugar can be refined from them, but not many taste sweet with zero calories.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:39 AM   #26
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
Stevia doesn't taste good at all, it has this really weird aftertaste and it's very strong. I think a lot of people would have trouble getting used to the flavor.

I personally would reccommend Agave Nectar over stevia any day. Agave is safe for diabetics because of its low glycemic index, and it tastes great in tea or on fruit or whatever. I haven't tried it in coffee yet, but I have a feeling it would be similar. It's a similar appearance to honey, but not as thick.
It's all a matter of taste. To me the awful aftertaste of Aspartame is much worse.

I have heard Agave nectar is good but have not tried it. It still has 60 cals. a tbsp. although a somewhat lower glycemic index, a diabetic would still have to watch it.

Closed Thread