HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   General Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/general-health/)
-   -   well... the danger on Splenda is coming out.... (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/general-health/526938-well-danger-splenda-coming-out.html)

Katielyn 08-20-2007 11:21 AM

well... the danger on Splenda is coming out....

If you really think about it, nothing is really safe. I knew Splenda was too good to be true. Now it's coming out that the chemicals in the sweetener can be harmful and cause weight GAIN! That's it, I'm going back to good ole pure cane sugar in moderation!

sunshine12 08-20-2007 11:31 AM

Re: well...the dangers on Splenda is coming out....

I haven't seen or heard anything about this. I have been eating it for years and no weight gain with anyone here. Was that all you read or heard?
Sunshine

Katielyn 08-20-2007 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=sunshine12;3165579]I haven't seen or heard anything about this. I have been eating it for years and no weight gain with anyone here. Was that all you read or heard?
Sunshine[/QUOTE]

Someone had forwarded me an email on the article. From what I read, the finding are just now starting to come out. If I could give you the website, I would, but I don't think we can do that here. It basically said that there are some chemicals in the Splenda that could cause nerve problems down the road as well as some other debilitating issues. They say that plain sugar is the best to use if used in moderation.

gardeniasama 08-20-2007 02:18 PM

Natural is always best. Regular sugar or none. I personally don't like the tase of aspartame or splenda, and find they can give me a bit of a headache.

Katielyn 08-20-2007 03:50 PM

[QUOTE=gardeniasama;3165876]Natural is always best. Regular sugar or none. I personally don't like the tase of aspartame or splenda, and find they can give me a bit of a headache.[/QUOTE]

That is one of the things mentioned as a side effect. I am finding out that natural is always the way to go.

Kharma 08-20-2007 03:53 PM

Hmmm. I've lost 70 pounds using splenda. I better stop :D

Katielyn 08-20-2007 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=Kharma;3166028]Hmmm. I've lost 70 pounds using splenda. I better stop :D[/QUOTE]

Everyone is different. Not everyone will get the same adverse reactions and some may not be affected by the certain chemicals they pose as being dangerous but they are putting the word out that it can be a detriment to some. Since it can affect some people, they have to put it out there and let them know the dangers of it. Just like cigerettes. We all make the choice to smoke knowing what it can do to our health.

sunshine12 08-21-2007 03:18 PM

[QUOTE=Katielyn;3165837]Someone had forwarded me an email on the article. From what I read, the finding are just now starting to come out. If I could give you the website, I would, but I don't think we can do that here. It basically said that there are some chemicals in the Splenda that could cause nerve problems down the road as well as some other debilitating issues. They say that plain sugar is the best to use if used in moderation.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Katielyn, I am diabetic so that is why I use Splenda. I guess I thought this was the best of the worst choices...I suppose if my nerves go nuts in a few years we will know what did it.::( Thanks for your reply

Kszan 08-21-2007 04:49 PM

It's not that surprising that Splenda is bad for you. It's made with chlorine, for pete's sake! They use it by adding a chlorine molecule to the sugar molecule while taking away some other kind of molecule, which makes it not as safe as people would think. Sure it's made with real sugar, but it ceases to be "real sugar" when they add that chlorine molecule to it! And from what I've read, it's the chlorine in the Splenda that causes all of the negative health effects from its use!

Katielyn 08-22-2007 10:20 AM

[QUOTE=Kszan;3168141]It's not that surprising that Splenda is bad for you. It's made with chlorine, for pete's sake! They use it by adding a chlorine molecule to the sugar molecule while taking away some other kind of molecule, which makes it not as safe as people would think. Sure it's made with real sugar, but it ceases to be "real sugar" when they add that chlorine molecule to it! And from what I've read, it's the chlorine in the Splenda that causes all of the negative health effects from its use![/QUOTE]

That makes sense. If it's too good to be true, it usually is. The body is a natural thing so it only makes sense if we try and put as much natural stuff in it in moderation.

CD2 09-01-2007 10:51 AM

I eat splenda I've never heard anything bad about splenda

sirp 09-01-2007 11:58 AM

[QUOTE=CD2;3187496]I eat splenda I've never heard anything bad about splenda[/QUOTE]

Haven't you read anything about it?

DesperationGirl 09-01-2007 12:02 PM

Re: well... the danger on Splenda is coming out....

Must admit, I've read up on splenda and don't find that the adverse effects of it over sugar are much of any different on a level of danger. After all, anything can be dangerous to different people.

Personally, I find comparing Splenda to cigarettes a little ridiculous. As an asthmatic, I thoroughly dislike smokers. Smokers don't just hurt themselves. The smoke gets in their hair and clothes, their skin and fingernails. A person who hasn't smoked a cigarette in four months is still capable of triggering a fatal asthma attack in someone else. Meanwhile, drinking a cup of tea sweetened with splenda won't do anything to anyone around the tea-drinker, even if the person were to drink a little tea in their splenda.

Studies have shown, however, that the amount of sugar replaced by Splenda, Sweet 'N Low and other non-caloric sweeteners in and of itself is not enough to effect weight loss in a diet. If you're really eating enough of the stuff to make you GAIN weight, then you might have worse problems than Splenda on your hands.

Imajeanation 09-01-2007 12:36 PM

I'm wondering if anyone knows about fructose and if it has any bad effects? I get horrible headaches with splenda and began looking at it as poisoning me. Aspartame I'm getting concerned about just because some people say it is bad for you, but I haven't noticed anything with its use. Hope to gain some info here...thanks!

Isis498 09-01-2007 01:31 PM

The only non caloric sweetener I use, if any, is Stevia. It is VERY sweet and only takes a little. The taste is not bad at all. It at least comes from a plant. Some brands taste better than others. If you can get used to Splenda and others, you can get used to Stevia, IMO

I just won't risk using chemically engineered sweeteners. We eat enough bad things as it is. :(