It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User
well... the danger on Splenda is coming out....

If you really think about it, nothing is really safe. I knew Splenda was too good to be true. Now it's coming out that the chemicals in the sweetener can be harmful and cause weight GAIN! That's it, I'm going back to good ole pure cane sugar in moderation!

Old 08-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
Re: well...the dangers on Splenda is coming out....

I haven't seen or heard anything about this. I have been eating it for years and no weight gain with anyone here. Was that all you read or heard?
Sunshine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine12 View Post
I haven't seen or heard anything about this. I have been eating it for years and no weight gain with anyone here. Was that all you read or heard?
Sunshine

Someone had forwarded me an email on the article. From what I read, the finding are just now starting to come out. If I could give you the website, I would, but I don't think we can do that here. It basically said that there are some chemicals in the Splenda that could cause nerve problems down the road as well as some other debilitating issues. They say that plain sugar is the best to use if used in moderation.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #4
(female)

gardeniasama HB User

Natural is always best. Regular sugar or none. I personally don't like the tase of aspartame or splenda, and find they can give me a bit of a headache.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeniasama View Post
Natural is always best. Regular sugar or none. I personally don't like the tase of aspartame or splenda, and find they can give me a bit of a headache.

That is one of the things mentioned as a side effect. I am finding out that natural is always the way to go.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
(female)

Kharma HB User

Hmmm. I've lost 70 pounds using splenda. I better stop

Old 08-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharma View Post
Hmmm. I've lost 70 pounds using splenda. I better stop

Everyone is different. Not everyone will get the same adverse reactions and some may not be affected by the certain chemicals they pose as being dangerous but they are putting the word out that it can be a detriment to some. Since it can affect some people, they have to put it out there and let them know the dangers of it. Just like cigerettes. We all make the choice to smoke knowing what it can do to our health.

Last edited by Katielyn; 08-20-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielyn View Post
Someone had forwarded me an email on the article. From what I read, the finding are just now starting to come out. If I could give you the website, I would, but I don't think we can do that here. It basically said that there are some chemicals in the Splenda that could cause nerve problems down the road as well as some other debilitating issues. They say that plain sugar is the best to use if used in moderation.
Thanks Katielyn, I am diabetic so that is why I use Splenda. I guess I thought this was the best of the worst choices...I suppose if my nerves go nuts in a few years we will know what did it.: Thanks for your reply

Old 08-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

It's not that surprising that Splenda is bad for you. It's made with chlorine, for pete's sake! They use it by adding a chlorine molecule to the sugar molecule while taking away some other kind of molecule, which makes it not as safe as people would think. Sure it's made with real sugar, but it ceases to be "real sugar" when they add that chlorine molecule to it! And from what I've read, it's the chlorine in the Splenda that causes all of the negative health effects from its use!

Old 08-22-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
It's not that surprising that Splenda is bad for you. It's made with chlorine, for pete's sake! They use it by adding a chlorine molecule to the sugar molecule while taking away some other kind of molecule, which makes it not as safe as people would think. Sure it's made with real sugar, but it ceases to be "real sugar" when they add that chlorine molecule to it! And from what I've read, it's the chlorine in the Splenda that causes all of the negative health effects from its use!

That makes sense. If it's too good to be true, it usually is. The body is a natural thing so it only makes sense if we try and put as much natural stuff in it in moderation.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
(female)

CD2 HB User
Post Re: well...the dangers on Splenda is coming out....

I eat splenda I've never heard anything bad about splenda

Old 09-01-2007, 11:58 AM   #12
(female)

sirp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2 View Post
I eat splenda I've never heard anything bad about splenda
Haven't you read anything about it?

Old 09-01-2007, 12:02 PM   #13
(female)

DesperationGirl HB User
Re: well... the danger on Splenda is coming out....

Must admit, I've read up on splenda and don't find that the adverse effects of it over sugar are much of any different on a level of danger. After all, anything can be dangerous to different people.

Personally, I find comparing Splenda to cigarettes a little ridiculous. As an asthmatic, I thoroughly dislike smokers. Smokers don't just hurt themselves. The smoke gets in their hair and clothes, their skin and fingernails. A person who hasn't smoked a cigarette in four months is still capable of triggering a fatal asthma attack in someone else. Meanwhile, drinking a cup of tea sweetened with splenda won't do anything to anyone around the tea-drinker, even if the person were to drink a little tea in their splenda.

Studies have shown, however, that the amount of sugar replaced by Splenda, Sweet 'N Low and other non-caloric sweeteners in and of itself is not enough to effect weight loss in a diet. If you're really eating enough of the stuff to make you GAIN weight, then you might have worse problems than Splenda on your hands.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #14
(female)

Imajeanation HB User

I'm wondering if anyone knows about fructose and if it has any bad effects? I get horrible headaches with splenda and began looking at it as poisoning me. Aspartame I'm getting concerned about just because some people say it is bad for you, but I haven't noticed anything with its use. Hope to gain some info here...thanks!

Old 09-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

The only non caloric sweetener I use, if any, is Stevia. It is VERY sweet and only takes a little. The taste is not bad at all. It at least comes from a plant. Some brands taste better than others. If you can get used to Splenda and others, you can get used to Stevia, IMO

I just won't risk using chemically engineered sweeteners. We eat enough bad things as it is.

Closed Thread