It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
(female)

Shanibelle HB User
Stomach cramping; only at football practice in heat

My 12 y/o son, since the start of football season has been suffering from stomach cramp and nausea. He is diabetic (Type 1, controlled) and has been playing football for 5 years. The first week of practice he had a low grade fever and some diarrhea. Everything has cleared but this stomach issue has not cleared. Last week he had to leave practice early each day because he was doubled over in pain; once he got cooled off he was fine. Today was a semi cool day (about 75 degrees) and he had to sit out a bit with some nausea before resuming practice.

Tomorrow I am calling the doctor to see if she wants to see him or refer him out. This is bizarre as he is fine in the evenings when he does not have practice. It seems to be exercise related. Any ideas?

Old 08-23-2007, 12:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Stomach cramping; only at football practice in heat

Dehydration can cause abdominal cramps. Be sure he is getting plenty of water before and during practices.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 03:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

A 75 degree semi cool day is not that...especially with physical exertion! Check out the symptoms of heat exhaustion/heat sickness and heat stroke.

Increasing water intake my help some but for some of us, it isn't enough. Several years ago a football player died on the field due to heat stroke.
This is nothing to take lightly.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 08-23-2007 at 04:11 PM. Reason: bad typos, sorry!

Old 08-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
(female)

Shanibelle HB User

Thank you for your thoughts. Tomorrow my son has an appointment to get the ball rolling on finding a possible underlying cause. In the meantime, I have him staying more hydrated to see if that helps.

I know the body changes but a few years ago before he was diagnosed with diabetes he didn't have stomach issues while playing football, and he was definitely dehydrated at the time. At his diabetic diagnosis he was low on potassium and magnesium, and they have never rechecked those levels since he left the hospital. I know that defiencies, particularily potassium can cause problems like he is having. He is also in the bad genetic position to get GERD and other digestive issues. Diabetics are also more likely to get celiacs. Hopefully it is something more simple such as hydration, as was suggested

Old 08-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Hello Shanibelle,

I dashed off my last post without mentioning that water alone is not the answer, because dehydration can cause electrolyte imbalance which, based on your post, you are aware of. Potassium, calcium, and magnesium need to replaced as well and can be found in some sports drinks.

Good luck at the doctor's office.

Bethsheba

Old 08-24-2007, 08:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User

Any possibility its "nerves" as in he doesn't really want to play anymore and can't say so because its too important to his dad? Or maybe a bully on the team or something going on in the lockerroom?

Old 08-24-2007, 07:04 PM   #7
(female)

Shanibelle HB User

I had considered psychological aspects of the stomach pains. This is rec. football and I am at every practice...he gets along with everyone, no name calling, bullying etc. We do have a bit of a football dad. However, he did tell us (and we are HUGE baseball fans) that he no longer wanted to play baseball and play lacrosse instead. There was no fallout from that, and he played lacrosse instead, until he broke his wrist.

He went to the doctor today and there are three theories at this point. First being a virus. Second, low amylase levels. Third, increase blood flow to the stomach which in turn causes the liver to overwork and cramp. They ran a complete chemistry, amylase, and LFTs on him so we should hear something on Monday.

At anyrate, he was cramping up badly tonight again. It was back to being hot and humid here in MD. Tomorrow he has his first game of the season and will be interested to see how the time/food cycle will effect him.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:38 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Let us know what the lab work shows, okay? I am curious.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:06 AM   #9
(female)

Shanibelle HB User

My son's lab work came back fine, however, he is still having stomach pains at practice. I am waiting to hear back from the doctor to find out what to do next.

We did figure out, through trial, that eating before practice makes no difference. If he is playing football late in the day it makes no difference if he has a full stomach or not.

Closed Thread