It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
(male)

godsmack HB User
I've been having some problems lately...

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I didn't know what other categories this would fit into because I really don't know what's wrong with me.

I've always had problems sleeping, I might have gotten around average 4 hours of sleep a night, but it's never caused me any problems beyond that, besides the occasional "all nighter" but it's not that big of a deal. But about two weeks ago, I started having serious insomnia... I'll sleep every 2-3 days, and until yesterday I stayed up 4 nights in a row, and even when I slept I only got about 7 hours of sleep.

That wouldn't be that much of a problem to me, but I've also had a serious loss of appetite. Today all I've eaten was one pop-tart (wasn't even able to finish the 2nd in the package, it's been 8 hours since I ate the first, I'm working on the second). I'd say in a given week, I'll eat 4-5 actual full meals. I started losing my appetite about a month or so ago, and ever since then I'll just get less and less hungry, and I seem to get full quicker. Food doesn't seem to taste as good as it used to and when I see foods that I used to love, I'm not really interested in eating it unless it's the only thing I've eaten that day.

With the sleeplessness and lost of appetite, you'd think I'd be pretty worn down all the time. The weird thing is I'm not, after not sleeping for days I feel really energetic, but I just have less endurance.

I can't think properly after losing all that sleep, yet my mind seems to race. After being up for a few days, my vision worsens and sometimes it gets hard to see text, it blurs and I have to try to focus to read. I just feel like I'm in some kind of altered state of consciousness. It's by no means hindering me from completing day to day tasks, and with all this extra time I've even created a website.(Drawn in photoshop, sliced and coded start to finish in one sitting). It's fine and dandy and all, but I just don't feel right. I get mild headaches too, nothing too bad. Every once in awhile I'll get an optical migraine and go almost completely blind, but that was happening way before any of this.

I'm generally very active, I worked construction all summer and used to skateboard a lot in my spare time, but I don't seem to have interest in it anymore. I'm not really depressed if that's what you're aiming at by this point. I'd consider myself healthy if it wasn't for all of this, I'm fifteen years old if age is anything to take into account.

Overall it seems I could live with it and still go about day-to-day activities, but I'm just worried about this being a little abnormal. My mind is racing constantly and I can't seem to focus on things like I used to though.

I'd like to add also that I'm not on any medications. My "sex drive" isn't what it used to be, considering I'm 15. If that's anything to take into account.

Any information on what the hells wrong with me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'd also like to add that I'm thirsty non-stop. I drink a lot of powerade and water when I run out of that. I'm usually either really hot or really cold. I'll get chills all of the sudden when I'm sweating because I'm so hot. It's hard to explain.

Last edited by godsmack; 08-23-2007 at 11:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: I've been having some problems lately...

Hi Godsmack......Sounds like a trip to Dr. is in order before you completely burn yourself out. Your body cannot keep going at this pace without proper rest and nutrition. Tell you family you need to go to the doctor right away. Let us know what happens.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
(female)

kkl HB User

Your symptoms seem to point to a possible thyroid problem. Go talk to your doctor. Lack of sleep for several days could also explain some of your symtpoms.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Excessive thirst is a symptom of diabetes. That's probably not what you have, but it's important to rule it out. You really need to see your family doctor and have a physical and some routine blood work. A 15 year old should not be feeling like this. (Duh, you know that. That's why you posted. Now take the bull by the horns and get some help.)

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
(female)

huffnpuff HB User

I think you need to see a doctor. No one can go three and four days without sleeping and still function properly. I would be sure and have my thyroid checked, as well as a glucose test for diabetes (with the thirst). The loss of appetite is a tip-off something is off kilter. See an M.D. and have some blood testing done - something is out of order. Talk to Mom or Dad about it. I know they would want to have this looked into.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
(male)

godsmack HB User

Really sorry for not replying earlier. I didn't notice any replies right away, and when I came back a couple days later, it just said there was a database error. I just kind of forgot about it since then. Every time I go to the doctors they just tell me I'm depressed, and I know I'm not, so I don't go anymore. Last time I had blood tests done, while this was still going on, the only thing they said wrong was "critically low potassium levels".

Doctors don't help, so I was just hoping maybe one of you would have a similar experience. Because I'm still going the same way, my appetite is a little better, but I still can't sleep worth ****, and today was the first day of school, and I had to go in lacking 3 days of sleep. I don't really think I can do all that well in school like that...

Last edited by godsmack; 09-04-2007 at 08:23 PM.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Godsmack, what you describe sounds suspiciously like mania to me. I know you're not depressed right now, but how are your moods overall? Do you have periods of highs and lows?

What medications are you on?

Old 09-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
(male)

godsmack HB User

I took Prozac for two months or so, then stopped taking it because it actually was causing depression.

Overall since when? This past summer has been good I guess, I've been working a lot but besides that I enjoyed it. Before that I was pretty depressed for awhile because of the end of a year long relationship, and a lot of complications with that...

Lately I've been pretty happy though. Happier anyways, I've never really been the estatic type. Thanks for all of your input.

Edit: Oh, and on the mania note, I don't have bad mood swings, but I do sometimes feel... I guess stoned, after staying up for a few days. It isn't like being tired, but just an altered state of consciousness. I don't like it though, its hard to get **** done, and I can't focus on anything. Sometimes it makes me feel a little sick lately.

Last edited by godsmack; 09-05-2007 at 05:51 PM.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

It's understandable that you'd feel 'stoned' on as little sleep as you've been getting!

Have you had an episode of severe insomnia like this before? How long ago did you stop the Prozac?

I still think that you need to seriously consider Bipolar Disorder. Many people with BPD don't have actual periods of mania. They alternate periods of depression with periods of irritability/insomnia. The latter is often preceeded by a few days of feeling better than usual, but not euphoria.

Most people with BPD only have a couple of cycles per year so you may have to look at your mood for the last few years, rather than the last few months. Having cycles more often than that is called "rapid cycling". It's also possible, if you're young, that this is your first hypomanic episode.

Something for you to consider....

Last edited by index.html; 09-06-2007 at 01:29 AM.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:38 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

PS. You could try some Benadryl or melatonin at night to help you sleep. If that doesn't work, you should see a doctor.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:02 AM   #11
(male)

Nexis HB User

I agree with all the posters input here; it could be a Hyperthyroid, diabetes/prediabetes, and some mood condition such as hypomania/dysthmia, yet you did say that you had a situation that contribute to your depression, so it could be transitional...

Are you seeing a doctor now?

Have people close to you tell you they are concerned regarding your behaviour in terms of mood and actions? If so please let us know so we can help you....

Last edited by Nexis; 09-06-2007 at 04:03 AM.

Closed Thread