Ok so i am 19 and ive been a heavy chapstick user since i was about 11. Just about a month ago i got these weird red tiny bumps on my lips. then it got worse and it became crusty and peeling and itching. I tried so many different lip treatments and creams and cold sore creams.. had no idea what it was and nothing was working..but sometimes i still continued to use my regular chapstick. I use the black regular chapstick brand. Well finally after being able to not take it anymore i stopped using my normal chapstick completely and bought that blistex lip medex in a blue little container and ive only been using that..well for 3 days now my lips feel really better and there is no roughness or bumps and they feel normal again. my question is...could the regular chapstick brand ive been using for years might of caused this? I dont know why i find that so hard to believe but once i stopped use of that it went away and i hope it stays away. does anyone know?
I had something similar that my doctor diagnosed as eczema. It's possible either 1. You become allergic to the ingredients in chapstick, and the blistex helped heal the eczema. 2. You had an infection on your lips and because you were using the same tube of chapstick constantly , you kept reinfecting your lips.
I would throw out your old chapstick and get a new one. If the same thing happens again, you've probably developed an allergy to chapstick.
p.s. My doctor told me to use .5% hydrocortizone on my lips 3x/day if the eczema acts up.
Well i did throw out the chapstick i was using, but ive been using chapstick for so long..how would i become allergic just like that? thats possible? someone else thought it look like eczema so its weird you said that but that could be what it was. i would of gone to the doc but i have no insurance. it could be possible though that i was reinfecting myself because i didnt just think of the chapstick thing till i stopped a few days ago it didnt occur to me that that could be the problem since ive used it for so long but now i think it was. ill just continue to use the blistex i like it anyways and i dont need to put it on as much as the other stuff...but if it comes back ill try the stuff you suggested. but the whole allergy thing is so weird..but then i again im allergic to hemp and jalapenos...so i wouldnt put it past me to become allergic to something as weird as chapstick.
Allergies can change as you get older. Some adults become lactose intolerant as they age. So it's quite posible that you have developed an allergy to one of the ingredients in Chapstick. Maybe Chapstick changed their formula?
Yes, you can use too much Chapstick... or lip balm in general, no matter what brand.
Skin has to breathe, and it can't breathe when coated with wax 24 hours a day. Overuse of a balm or jelly creates a crust on the lips which traps bacteria and fungi creating a state of permanent inflammation. The lips become irritated and the temptation is to apply even more balm, which just exacerbates the problem. To avoid this condition, known as cheilitis, it's a good idea to leave off lip balms and jellies - rather than routinely applying them each morning - so you give your lips a chance to 'breathe' naturally.
I just had to reply to this post.I have an addiction to chap stick.Either chapstick,blistex,carmex or whatever, I had to always have something on my lips.I even kept some on my night table and would wake up during the night and apply it.
Well,my lips started getting really rough and sore in the corners of my lips and it just kept getting worse.I started looking all over the internet and found something that worked great to clear it up.I started using cortizone 10.It comes in a tube like vasilene.I would put it on at night and in a couple of days my lips were back to normal.I did throw out all my old chap stick and get some new blixtex and that is all I use now.Just wanted to let you know that there is help for this!