It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
(female)

shorty03906 HB User
Help Please

I am going to have a test done on my arm, its called a EMG/NCV. Has anyone ever had this done, and what did they find out from the test?

Old 08-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

john449 HB User
Re: Help Please

Test reflects how the nerves in your arm are functioning. The EMG (Electromyogram) part is done using a small needle. The doc examines several muscles looking for abnormalities suggesting that the nerve to the muscle has been damaged. With this information he can decide whether there is nerve damage and where it is coming from - i.e., the neck or further down in the arm.
The NCS (Nerve conduction study) is done with an electric stimulator. The nerve is stimulated in various places and the time for the impulse to travel the nerve is determined. With this information the doc can identify poor quality responses in individual nerves and find blocks in the course of the nerve.
The tests are fairly simple and can be an excellent source of information. They are a bit uncomfortable but certainly tolerable. Hope that helps, Good Luck...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2007, 06:27 AM   #3
(female)

shorty03906 HB User

That was helpful thank you. Have you ever had this test done? If so, why did you have it done, and did the information help you? I see that you live about 20 mins from my city(Antioch) If you had this test done who did you see for it? I am also on workman's comp.

Last edited by shorty03906; 08-27-2007 at 06:28 AM.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
(female)

shorty03906 HB User

How do I know if I have nerve damage or nerve problems?

Old 08-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

john449 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty03906 View Post
That was helpful thank you. Have you ever had this test done? If so, why did you have it done, and did the information help you? I see that you live about 20 mins from my city(Antioch) If you had this test done who did you see for it? I am also on workman's comp.
Yes I have. I'm a Kaiser member they have several people who do the test.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

john is exactly right on with his description of the two seperate tests.the big thing to remeber tho is that this particular testing will only show actual nerve flow problems and nothing else.i had my first one (of three over a few years time)for c spine problems but despite the really horrid pain i was having,everything regarding the actual nerve flow was just dandy.i was rather disappointed in that i thought this ment no one would believe i had this nasty pain just becasue my nerves appeard "fine'.i was told by the tech that did this and by my neurosurgeon that all that test proved was that i had nothing impeding my nerve flow on a constant basis,like from nerve compression or actual direct nerve damage.it did not mean that i didn;t have pain caused by stenosis,bone spurs and intermittant impingment of the nerve dependant upon movement.it only shows direct impeded nerve flow and really not a whole lot else.it really is the best most definitive type test to really detect a direct nerve flow problem tho.doing this test along with having an MRI with contrast,if this is a spinal issue would really be the best way to go.

just what IS the reason you are having this test done?the actual pain involved with my tests was pretty tolerable with the first two but this was before my spinal cord damage.that one done just a few weeks ago was the most painful but it was in the areas where i have suffered some very severe muscle atrophy.this was not there with the prior tests.i think you will do just fine.please let us know just what you find out,K?

just an FYI here but there are some good threads on EMG way on down at the neuropathy boards.FB

Closed Thread