It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 04:54 AM   #1
(female)

nineteentwenty HB User
Body lice?

Wondering if anyone has ever dealt with this?

For the past month and a half or so (maybe early July), one of my kids and I have had "bites" on us - originally chalked up to "sand fleas" or something, as we'd been to the shore prior to seeing the first ones (bites were on my feet and on her butt). As the weeks went on, we would discover little itchy bites here and there on us, mainly stomach and upper thigh area. Almost always in areas covered by, or almost covered by clothing. (Though she did sleep in her underwear for a bit and seemed to still have them on her back & stomach, but I can't remember for sure if this was during a bite time). Son and Husband never showed anything. The bites seemed to show up in the morning.

I started wondering if there were bugs in our beds or something! So, I searched and came across bed bugs - and got very upset, as you can well imagine if you've ever read about them.

I tore the bedrooms apart - took all the clothes out of the drawers, put them in bags, and took them to the basement and started washing them all (I only could wash in warm water & then dry them). Vacuumed the bedrooms like mad. Vacuumed the mattresses. Put those plastic zipper covers on the mattresses, though the cats have picked at them.

Called 2 pest control companies. Each guy came out and looked in our rooms, looked briefly at the beds and in one empty dresser. Neither found anything.

Next night, I found something stuck behind some tape on the wall (tape was holding a photograph there) that was small (very) and definately resembled a young bed bug. I called one of the pest control guys back and he said yes, it was. I freaked. Talked with landlord about treating the rooms, he said he wanted HIS pest control man to look. That guy came, said he was certain that it was a bedbug, wanted to send it to the university entomology dept to have it ID'ed for sure.

University dept ID'ed it as a "louse". Due to it being slightly squished, they weren't able to be certain of head or body.

Everyone's heads are clean. No nits. No headlice. Been there before with daughter, so I know what to look for.

Which leaves 'body lice'. Which is a bit horrifying, as most of the info I can find says that it's usually only found in homeless, transient, populations. People who wear their clothes for weeks on end. Which we do not! We bathe, change clothes, etc.

Now, just yesterday, my son shows up with bites. He hadn't, all summer. His are on his butt and his back - his butt is always covered, as he wears pullups to bed. His back may or may not have been, sometimes he takes his shirt off.

Shouldn't my husband be showing signs by now then as well? If it was body lice? We sleep together!

But he's not.

We've not been able to find the other physical signs of bed bugs (black marks, bugs, bloodstains, etc). But yet this "body lice" doesn't seem to add up right either. Perhaps that was a very old one that was under that tape? Perhaps it was a leftover on from when daughter had headlice a few years ago. Who knows.

If it was body lice, the cleaning I have done in the past 2 weeks (after reading of bedbugs) should have broken the life cycle, shouldn't it? Yet, my stomach area has new bites. (right at the waist line and at the underwear line)..

I'm so confused. Can anyone speak of their experience with "body lice"? What the bites looked like? I'm afraid to trust that it's that and not bedbugs - partly because the treatment for bed bugs is HUGE and takes a very long time. Afraid to discard that idea.

Does this sound like body lice to you?

Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2007, 05:04 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Xant HB User
Re: Body lice?

I don't have any experience with those I'm afraid, I guess the best thing would be to see a doc.

I was just wondering though, you say you have a cat? Cat fleas sometimes bite humans, just a thought.

Just had a quick search and body lice seem to live in the seams of clothing and can be seen.

Last edited by Xant; 08-26-2007 at 05:07 AM.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:22 AM   #3
(female)

nineteentwenty HB User

We actually have a few cats - but they're indoor only and they don't have fleas (I've checked them over and over and over). My husband is also allergic to fleas (or at least he was ten years ago when he once moved into a flea infested apartment) and as of yet, he has no bites.

I should also mention - this can't be "allergies" (someone suggested that to me recently) as the kids are not biologically mine. So there shouldn't be any reason for us to all three react the same to an allergy.

I'm taking both kids and I to the doctor tomorrow, but I'm afraid he won't take me seriously as we were already there once when one of my daughter's bites became infected from scratching and I mentioned that we were getting bites and he said "yes, lots of those in the summer" and brushed us off.

It just seems like if it IS this "body lice", that cleaning & vacuuming should be eliminating the bites, shouldn't it? And shouldn't my husband have them as well? (or can some people not react?)

Puzzled.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
(female)

huffnpuff HB User

How about those "mite" bites that have been in the paper in the Midwest so often lately. Doctors are taking a close look at some of the rashes and bites they are causing. Our newspapers in Chicago area have had many articles on them seeing as they are causing new itching and scratching problems, spreading the bite areas so they look like rashes. The mites are very tiny and are causing many problems locally. I don't know if it is a midwest problem or nationwide problem, but according to the articles, it is a new "pest."

Old 08-27-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
(female)

nineteentwenty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffnpuff View Post
How about those "mite" bites that have been in the paper in the Midwest so often lately. Doctors are taking a close look at some of the rashes and bites they are causing. Our newspapers in Chicago area have had many articles on them seeing as they are causing new itching and scratching problems, spreading the bite areas so they look like rashes. The mites are very tiny and are causing many problems locally. I don't know if it is a midwest problem or nationwide problem, but according to the articles, it is a new "pest."
I've heard of that in the news a bit, but we don't live anywhere near that area - we live in eastern Canada. I don't know if any of those are here? Haven't heard of it around here. .

Saw the doctor today and he barely even listened to me, never looked at our bites, just sent us off with a prescription for a permethryn (sp??) body lotion stuff - he mentioned "scabies" as a possibility, but I'm afraid that's not it at all -- it doesn't look like the images I've searched up, and it isn't in the usual places for that. . sure, it could vary from person to person, but NONE of us have the right kind of marks in the right places for that.

We'll use it anyway, since we have it. But I'm 99.9999999 % sure that this is not scabies. It looks wrong for that. Plus there's that louse on the wall.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

nineteentwenty, do you think you and your daughter may have been bitten by a tick?

Closed Thread