It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
(female)

jenn892 HB User
Constant Vomiting & Extreme Sickness Episodes - PLEASE help

Hi. My mother for over a year now has had these episodes where she will wake up in the morning and then be sick for a couple of days with the first day and a half being vomiting (severe, bile vomit, sorry) where she can barely get out of bed except to get sick. Can barely talk - the first time it happened she was taken by ambulance to the hospital. Since last year at this time she's had a number of episodes every few months. She's had cat scans and MRI's along with blood work. The only thing they find is an inflammed/enlarged bile duct but they can't pinpoint the problem. It's very hard to see my mom so sick that she can't even talk to me and I would really like anyones thoughts on what I could look into while the doctors are doing they're thing, cause they aren't helping. She's having a test next month where that is kindof like an endoscopy but they go down and take tissue or something? Not sure. It may not even be digestive anymore, I dont know. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! I've looked into pancreatitis - but I just don't think that that is it- she's had her gall bladder out for 20+ years.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
(female)

huffnpuff HB User
Re: Constant Vomiting & Extreme Sickness Episodes - PLEASE help

I had a friend with the same problem, vomiting after a meal, without any warning, feeling sick. She did have the endoscopy and they took a tiny sample from the stomach (I guess), and it turned out to be she was positive for H-pylori bacteria. A week on a certain combination of antibiotics and she was absolutely fine. Hopefully, they are doing this test on your mom next week. Might be the problem. Hope so - best wishes on a solution. Discouraging to have this for so long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2007, 04:04 AM   #3
(female)

jenn892 HB User

Thanks for your input - I'll talk to her about that. The only thing that made me think it wasn't that is that she always gets it first thing in the morning, it's not triggered by food and she's seemingly deathly ill for a couple of days, can barely talk, and there really is no aching pain or anything - just the extreme sickness. But things effect everyone differently, I would have hoped that the doctor would have checked for such a think early on. We'll see - I greatly appreciate your comments. Thank you!

Old 08-29-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
(female)

lynne55 HB User

Hi, an hiatus hernia can cause this when it gets inflamed a 76 year old client of mine ( I'm a Reiki Therapist) had bouts of this and we were back and forth with her to the Dr she was eventually sent for the camera down her throat (gastroscopy) and the result being the above, she now takes medication and has been fine this last 12 month. I hope this helps,and I hope your Mum is soon back to herself. L

Old 09-11-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
(female)

janeth62 HB User

Hi Jenn892,

I know exactly what you're going through since my son has been doing this for almost 3 yrs. now. He's 23 yrs. old, and has been diagnosed with headache-free migraines. I have to keep an eye on him because when he hits these spells (which have now advanced to 10 days at a time), he becomes dizzy and will fall down when trying to walk. He's had numerous tests done, MRI, endoscopies (upper and lower), tests for how his stomach empties, etc., etc., etc., and they still haven't come up with anything, other than the headache-free migraines. Has your mother been checked for migraines? Is it possible your mother may have what they call "abdominal migraines"? My thoughts are with you because I know how extremely difficult it is to watch someone go through this, and not a thing you can do.

At this point, my son is only able to go about 2 weeks without getting sick and has lost about 20 lbs. in the last few months. Of course, the doctors thought it could be phsycological, but after visiting the counselor, the counselor doesn't believe it's phsycological at all, and now we don't know where to turn.

Anyway, I wish you all the luck in the world with your mother. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
(female)

jenn892 HB User

Wow - I"m so sorry to hear about your son. Headache free migraines sound horrible - it's so frustrating to keep being sick and go through test after test and someone still doesn't know what to tell you. Good luck- keep us updated.

Regarding my mom - she goes for her ERCP on Thursday. I'm a little nervous - with the enlarged bile duct it could be a stone (I'm praying) or a tumor or something of some sort (let's hope not). She's nervous for the test as well since it can make you sicker than when you went it in. I'm wondering what kinds of results people have gotten back from ERCP's?

Thanks for your reply's - this situation is stressful and the input is really helpful.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
(female)

janeth62 HB User

Jenn,
I'm not sure if you're still checking in on this thread or not, but something I came across that is very interesting....(I'm almost certain my son has this now)...acute intermittent porphyria. Check out the information on it:

[url]http://www.porphyriafoundation.com/about_por/types/types01.html[/url]

Do you suppose your mother could have this?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
(female)

jenn892 HB User

I am still checking - thank you! However, I'm not sure that is it.

I think I found something called Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome!! I'm almost positive that has to be it - waiting on a doctors appointment and some professional opinions, although I'm not so sure how much that means.

Closed Thread