It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 11:20 PM   #1
(male)

NegativeBeef HB User
Contact Dermatitis from body lotion

I get this poison ivy like rash on my hands whenever I use any type of lotion. It doesn't happen immediately, but usually the next day.

Not only do i get this from body lotion but any type of creamy substance such as antibiotic cream. I went to a dermatologist and he prescribed me something called "Fluocinonide cream" which not only doesn't work but gives me even more rashes.

These rashes only occur on my hands and nowhere else on my body. I could wash my hands with water and soap after I use these creams but it doesn't work. What could possibly be in all these creams that I'm allergic to?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
(male)

NegativeBeef HB User
Re: Contact Dermatitis from body lotion

***bump***

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

plasva HB User

I too have this problem, but not every time I use lotions. I get rashes on my hands and feet every once in awhile, usually while in the shower (definitely an allergic reaction rash.) Thus I conclude I'm allergic to something in shampoo, conditioner, or soaps. I also once got a rash to cheap lotion after applying it immediately after shaving (legs.) The problem seems to happen less often if I use ONLY products from health food stores (not mainstream brands), but the last time I got a rash, it was in a hotel shower, so maybe there was residue in the tub.
I wish I knew what ingredient you and I could be allergic to... I'd suggest trying a lotion from a health food store, look for one with the most natural-sounding ingredients as possible. Maybe they'll even have a sampler you can try first! Keep your receipt, and ask to exchange it if you end up getting a rash. Just watch out for lavendar or tea tree oils in the lotions--common ingredients in natural lotions but one research study showed they can affect hormone balance in the body.
I like Avalon and Aubrey brands, because they don't contain parabens or other harmful preservatives (Avalon does tend to have essential oils, though.)
Good luck finding something!

Old 08-31-2007, 12:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

glamour girl HB User

I've had dermatitis for years now. I've used so many products , waste of money for me. The perfume to make the cream smells nice, is what I'm allergic to. The only thing thats helps keep them a little soft cause the cracks in the fingers kill; is Sorbolene. its has no perfume so don't think yr hands will smell great, cause its pretty bland. Its very cheap from pharmacies too.
It least that helps a little. Good luck in yr search.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:29 AM   #5
(male)

NegativeBeef HB User

I'm not allergic to perfume though. I get dermatitis from cream. For example, putting antibiotic cream on my hands will give me horrible rashes.

Last edited by NegativeBeef; 09-02-2007 at 03:30 AM.

Closed Thread