It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 11:45 PM   #1
(female)

angela5271 HB Userangela5271 HB User
Son with bruising that won't go away?!?!?!

My son is 17, for the past month or more he has some bruising on the base of and lumbar region of his back. The bruises will start to fade slightly, the return almost immediately in a dark brown to red color. He says these bruises do not hurt. He noticed them over a month ago and they just won't go away. He thankfully told me about them today...they are quite large and angry looking. I will be setting an appointment with his doctor to look at them asap.

In the meantime...

Does anyone know what could be causing these bruises? Obviously I asked if he had been in any physical altercations...the answer was no. He and I have a pretty close relationship and he would be honest about that. Is this something I should be overly concerned with?? Of course anything that occurs with my children concern me, but I am really asking if this could be something serious that I should push the doctor to see him right away?

Thanks for your responses in advance. Hopefully someone out there can shed some light on this for me...for my peace of mind and his.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2007, 01:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User
Re: Son with bruising that won't go away?!?!?!

Most likely everything is okay, but I think you are wise to have him checked by a doctor.

Is he playing sports right now? Does he have nosebleeds? Any other physical symptoms - flulike or otherwise?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

so these have been coming and going for over a month now?does he have them in any other places somewhere else on his body,or just over the lumbar area?is he peeing okay?has he noticed any darkening of his urine at all?any changes there?i was going to ask some of the same questions as index above too.any pain in any place in his abdomen upon palpation?if he presses anywhere there does it produce any pain?quite frankly,the only thing i can think of that could cause that type of color under the skin would be some sort of accumulating red blood cells,which would have to be arterially based not veinous based as that would be blueish(the more 'normal" bruising color) in color.but he is not complaining of any pain anywhere for this to be coming from any sort of an injury either.really strange.i really would get him evaluated as soon as possible.this is just a very odd symptom.he also needs some blood work done to check levels of certain body system functions and find out just what is hemoglobin numbers are.

is he having ANYTHING other than this color change going on that you would consider to be a little 'off' or not normal for him? FB

Old 09-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
(female)

He does get nose bleeds. I am not sure if that would be related because he has always gotten nose bleeds. He does not complain of pain in his abdomen or changes in his urine output. He only has these bruises in the lumbar region of his back. I had him check his body for anything else, there was nothing. No sports as he is already out of high school. He and his friends do not play sports either.

Ahhhhh...so confusing. I just talked to him and he does not complain of any weird feelings, symptoms, or anything that would be off for him. I am hoping to get him in sometime this week to his m.d. I would hate for this to turn out to be something serious that we kinda just ignored. I would rather be safe than sorry. Besides he has a great doctor and nothing too minor phases or wastes the doctors time...as I have read about on these boards.

Thanks for the input Index and FeelBad. I really appreciate it.

Angela

Old 09-04-2007, 01:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

I do think you should have a doctor look at him. Let us know what he says, okay?

Old 09-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
(female)

I have an appointment set for my son for this Friday at 11:15 a.m. Unfortunately he will have to take himself due to my work schedule, but Fortunately my son is quite articulate and I am positive he will be able to explain exactly what is going on.

I will repost after then to tell of the diagnosis.

Angela

Closed Thread