It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 05:33 AM   #1
(male)

MB2005 HB User
Post appendix surgery

I had my appendix removed a week ago, i was released from hospital 3 days later. I was really bad beforehand, had bad diahroea, stomach pains, fever and just generally felt run down. I feel fine now, just the bruising and swelling. Looks like I have a tennis ball coming out of my side. Its pretty painful to walk straight and the fact the my wound looks like a small golf ball worries me.

The bruising goes all the way down to my penis. Theres some dark blue bruising on the bottom of my penis and scrotum, it doesnt hurt but got my pretty worried. I guess this is normal? what is the average recovery time? I got a 2 week sick note.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-04-2007, 06:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Post appendix surgery

while the way your bruising is would really be considered normal simply becasue gravity takes over and kind of 'pulls' that blood downward,i would be a bit concerned about the swelling and what you described as the 'tennis ball"??i don't think that realistically should be occuring.was this there before your surgery or did it develop sometime after?are you running any level of fevers?this could be somewhat normal or it could be some sort of post op complication.i would really call your surgeons office and speak with them about this.it just doesn't 'sound' normal to me.it could be a pocket of fluid or something else.the area would most likely be a bit swollen but the tennis ball just seems a bit much for what type of surgery you had done.did that bruising appear sometime after the surgery or was it there right after?is the area really overly tender to the touch?it should be somewhat tender but not really overly painful.does the incision look okay or reddish or oozing anything?just make that call to your surgeon and see what they have to say about your symptoms.let me know how you are doing,K? FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
(male)

MB2005 HB User

The bruising didnt appear straight after surgery, it took about 2-3 days. The bruising is pretty severe. The swelling started about 2-3 days after surgery. It looks as if half a tennis ball is stuck out of my stomach, where my wound is. I'm thinking is fluid aswell. It is a little tender to, not too painful tho. But it is uncomfortable to stand up straight and walk.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

You should call the surgeon. I have had several abdominal surgeries, and this swelling is not normal. It could be an abcess, a hernia, or something else. Get it checked out ASAP.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:00 AM   #5
(male)

MB2005 HB User

I'm going to see my gp today.

I'm more worried about the collection of blood in my scrotum. The area from my scar down to my penis is pretty bruised but it worries my that there is blood in my scrotum and around the base of my penis. Surely this isnt normal? I'm not getting any pain as such.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i am glad you are seeing your doc.you should be calling your surgeon tho too.he needs to know whats up.your primary may take care of that tho when you see him.i am thinking,and this is only a guess here based on just what happens when you have a larger bruised area?the accumulation within your scrotum could just be gravity pulling it downward.it would stay awhile til your body absorbs it in.BUT it could be something more too.you really wont know anything for certain til you get yourself evaluated by your doc and definitely speak with your surgeon.like B fly said,the swelling just isn't 'normal".good luck and i hope everything is okay.please let us know what your doc says. FB

Old 09-06-2007, 02:40 AM   #7
(male)

MB2005 HB User

Thanks for the replies. My doc seems to think its a hematoma, which I believe is internal bleeding? This would somewhat explain the collection of blood in my scrotum. Is it nomal just for it to sit there in my scrotum tho? its not doing any damage to the organ is it? and is it ok tocontinue sexual acttivity? My biggest worry has the bleeding stopped? My doc seems to think as im feeling fine, no vomiting and fever that the bleeding has stopped. And that the wound isnt getting any bigger. How long would you say until the blood is absorbed back into the body? as its not very pretty having just a collection of blood just sitting there. Anything i can do to speed it up?

Last edited by MB2005; 09-06-2007 at 04:57 AM.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #8
(male)

MB2005 HB User

Seems like it's just me who's had this complication

Old 09-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
(male)

MB2005 HB User

Anyone else had this happen before or know of anyone this has happened too. I need some re-assurance. I've searched high and low on the internet and no one has had this happen before, starting to feel a little scared.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #10
(female)

vanima84 HB User

my husband recently had this surgery as well. His bruising was ONLY around the incision... and it was very very little bruising. I recommend calling your surgeon... it could be nothing but it could be something and its always better to get it checked.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

MB,did you ever call and speak with your actual surgeon or his PA about this?if your doc actually told you you have internal bleeding,well,thats not a good thing.what did he have to say about that?does it still resemble what it looked like when you first posted this?with that lump as well? FB

Old 09-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #12
(male)

MB2005 HB User

I didnt speak with my surgeon no, but I'm going to ring the hospital tomorrow. He said the heamatoma was a result of internal bleeding which is common after surgery. And he said due to gravity the blood was drawn down into my ballsac and penis. The amount of blood and the lump hvnt got wrorse since last time I posted. But I'm still slightly worried, especially at the fact I havnt read anywhere or heard of anyone who has had this complication before.

Closed Thread