It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
(female)

sondra52 HB User
Profuse overall sweating???

I have a 29 yr. old son who, over the last several years, sweats PROFUSELY, but I can't seem to find any info as to what it could be a symptom of? They all refer me to underarm sweating, and that's not what it is. This is something that has gotten progressively worse over the last several years, and he's mentioned to our family MD, who just seems unconcerned. Sweat just runs off of him when he's doing just normal activities, when everyone else will be dry as can be. He has problems sleeping, because he wakes up so hot and sweaty his sheets and pillow will be wet. If he was me, I'd think it was hot flashes! Does anyone else have this problem, and is it anything to be concerned about? He is outside a lot, is a land surveyor, plays sports, etc., but like I said, he used to sweat a normal amount, but now just doing normal things, ie: setting up his camper this weekend when it wasn't all that hot, he was sweating so bad he almost needs to wear a sweatband around his head to keep it out of his eyes. Should I be worried, and what type of Dr. would he go to to have it checked out? Or do some people just develop that problem gradually over the years? He doesn't have underarm sweating or odor that's a problem, so does anyone else suffer from this? He gets embarrassed when he's golfing, etc., and he's sweating like crazy, and everyone else is comfortable. It is noticable enough, obviously, that people give him a hard time about it, so I know it can't be normal. Sorry for rambling, but would appreciate any ideas? Thanks, all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
(male)

Nexis HB User
Re: Profuse overall sweating???

Excessive Sweating is a primary sign of prediabetes or diabetes...

It could be other conditions as well...

Even though your son's normal blood test glucose is normal, he made need to have a special test to have a test called "Oral Glucose Tolerance Test"...

How is his weight, food intake ( high or low sugar intake diet) and other symptoms besides excessive sweating?

Last edited by Nexis; 09-05-2007 at 06:47 AM.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
(female)

sondra52 HB User
Unhappy Re: Profuse overall sweating???

My 34 yr old son has had juvenile diabetes since he was 5, and their Dad, my ex-husband, also developed Type 1 diabetes at about age 35, and recently passed away at age 54. He was an alcoholic, and with the combination of alcohol and the diabetes, his body couldn't take it anymore I guess. I thought about diabetes, too, but the main thing I noticed with my older son and his Dad was extreme weight loss when they developed diabetes. He has high cholesterol, but I don't think he's had his blood sugar tested. Like I said, I don't remember the profuse sweating being a symptom with my Son and his Dad, but guess I'll STRONGLY suggest Jon get his blood sugar tested, and pray that it comes back okay. I know his brother sweats profusely when his blood sugar drops and he's having an insulin reaction. Thanks, and please say a prayer that it isn't diabetes, as after watching his brother battle it his whole life, and just watching his Dad draw his last breath 6 mos. ago, I'm not sure he could handle that diagnosis at this point (or me, either, for that matter), but they say God never gives you more than you can handle, although it's getting close (the 34 yr. old is a meth addict, alcoholic, and was just diagnosed with TB. I'm afraid he'll be following his Dad soon, which is such a heartbreaker, but he seems to have a death wish, and after 16 yrs. of trying to "save" him, I finally realized I can't). Didn't mean to stray there. Thanks, and I'll make sure he gets it checked, and pray that's not what it is!

Old 09-05-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
(female)

sondra52 HB User

Nexis-His weight is normal, he's very active, and his diet could be better, but since he grew up in a home where we didn't eat a lot of sweets and I was pretty much a health nut as far as diet, it's not too bad. After having a son with really brittle juvenile diabetes for almost 30 yrs., I feel stupid admitting I've never heard of the oral glucose tolerance test?

Old 09-05-2007, 08:14 AM   #5
(male)

Nexis HB User

I am very much understand how much agony you must have experience with the loss of your husband at such a young age...

Alcohol is a definite sign for progression of and a future diagnosis for diabetes; alot of people do not know this, yet its pure starchy sugar...

If your son gets tested now, he can, if he wishes to be well and not commit to what happened to his own father, that there are many ways to control diabetes, specially with technological advances...Its up to your son to make a lifestyle makeover: God will help those who help themselves

Sweating is a main symptoms, yet it does not constitute diabetes, it could also be hyperthyroid yet its rare in men his age, yet that could be another condition which comes to mind.

If autoimmune disorders runs in the family, and if someone has one autoimmune condition, they are at a higher risk at developing another autoimmune related condition...

Please be well; my prayers to you and your son...

Old 09-05-2007, 08:22 AM   #6
(male)

Nexis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondra52 View Post
Nexis-His weight is normal, he's very active, and his diet could be better, but since he grew up in a home where we didn't eat a lot of sweets and I was pretty much a health nut as far as diet, it's not too bad. After having a son with really brittle juvenile diabetes for almost 30 yrs., I feel stupid admitting I've never heard of the oral glucose tolerance test?
Yes you brought up a very interesting topic; many people do not know they are prediabetic... Some have normal fasting sugar levels, so it appears normal through regular blood panel tests... YET many times, a person is "Insulin Resistance"/ Prediabetic.

The body does not respond properly to the insulin ONLY after eating. The insulin is overproduce which leads to high sugar levels only after eating... The pancreas eventually wear out which leads to Type 2 Diabetes...

The test is offically called "Oral Glucose Tolerance Test" OGTT... Its a very painless test yet it takes about 1 to 3 hours depending on the doctor...

Last edited by Nexis; 09-05-2007 at 08:47 AM.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
(female)

sondra52 HB User

I had in the back of my mind considered the possibility that his sweating could be a sign of diabetes, but like I said, I don't remember that with my older son or their Dad. The main thing I remember is fatigue, significant weight loss, and excessive urination. My oldest son's diabetes has always been so hard to control, even when he was little, and the youngest one with the sweating problem has always said he hopes he never gets it, because he's watched his brother's terrible insulin reactions his whole life. Now they're more like seizures, but I'm sure shooting up meth and consuming mass quantities of alcohol haven't helped. Like I said, he's so depressed right now (the younger one), as his Dad lived out of State, and Jon has spent most of the summer trying to get his house cleared out, etc. (he didn't have a will to complicate things), his girlfriend has Crohn's and is going to have yet another surgery, and I don't quite know how to get him into the Dr. to have his blood sugar tested. I suffer with chronic depression/agorophobia, etc., and the thought of Jon having diabetes, too, makes me sick to my stomach with everything else that's been going on. He's usually a really strong, happy person, but having to disconnect his Dad's life support, and me unable to be there with him because I can't leave the house, and dealing with his brother's drama, I'm sure praying that isn't what the sweating problem is. I know I sound like a drama queen, and I don't mean to. But I've watched my sweet, carefree Son turn into such a sad, stressed out person, I just don't know how he'd take a diabetes diagnosis.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:43 AM   #8
(female)

sondra52 HB User

Is the OGTT a blood test also? Would that be done by an endocronologist, or could just a GP do it? When I say "I don't know how he'd handle it", I guess we figure out a way, don't we, just as so many people have to deal with so much every day. I'm just praying that he won't find out that's what it is. One of the things I've always prayed for, selfishly, I know, is that he not get diabetes, and that neither of my sons get this stupid agorophobia and chronic depression, and that's so debilitating, too. Sorry, and thanks for the prayers and advise!

Old 09-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
(male)

Nexis HB User

Yes, since its a very simple test, only a very sweet juice to drink and a couple of blood withdraws, a GP should be able to do it, unless the GP has never heard of it or a hospital/medical policy that prevents the GP from conducting the test.....

Please keep us posted and please be well too...

Last edited by Nexis; 09-05-2007 at 08:52 AM.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
(female)

sondra52 HB User

Thanks, Nexis, I'll let you know!

Old 09-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

this could possibly be a sympathetic nervous system issue of some sort.if there is something somehow affecting it,it could produce ALOT of sweating.this could be within the neck area or at pretty much any level of the spinal column since the SNS chain actually runs down along both sides of the outside of the actual spinal column.some level of a herniated disc or other issue that is actually touching it or even compressing it,could possibly cause the affectation.the stellate is located within the neck alongside the larynx?you also have the thalamus that also regulates temp.there is also the spinothalamic tract that runs thru the spinal cord too.there are just alot of other possibilitys here for profuse sweating.your sympathetic nervous system is actually what regulates sweating itself.once my SNS became damaged during a surgery done on my actual spinal cord,i sweat like a pig.but only at night.i dont sweat at all anymore on my left side from the SCI,but it more than makes up for it with the heavy sweat on the left side now.

is he exhibiting any other odd types of symptoms,even little things?i would at least look up some info on the sympathetic nervous system and see just what it actually governs and see if there isn't some other actual symptoms he may be having but really is not paying too much attention to?the sympathetic and the para sympathetic govern ALOT of our body system functions.much much more than i ever realized til mine became damaged and strange things started occuring for me.this is just something that really does need to be at least looked into as one possibility.i do wish you luck and hope this isn't diabetes.i think you have already had to deal with way more than enough already.take care and please keep us posted as to what you find out,K? FB

Old 09-05-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
(female)

sondra52 HB User

feelbad
I will check out the SNS angle, too, and really appreciate the heads up on that. I know people deal with such awful diseases, but after seeing my older son go through 30 yrs. of insulin reactions, accidents from them, loss of a foot, etc., and then his Dad's recent passing just 6 mos. ago from complications, I just PRAY that it's not diabetes. But, if it is, it is I guess. Like I said, I don't remember the sweating being a problem until the past couple years, and this year I've really noticed it has gotten worse. His friends give him a hard time because they'll all be golfing or whatever, and they'll be dry as can be, and the sweat will just be pouring off of Jon. And like I said, he has really talked for quite some time about not sleeping at night. He had slid into base this summer, and gotten a really nasty burn on his leg from the stuff they put down on the bases, and developed a staph infection, so I know they did a lot of blood work for that. That appears to be cleared up now. He's been under a ton of stress since his Dad passed, as I can't travel, his brother and his drug friends are trashing his Dad's house and wreaking all sorts of havoc up there so he's dealing with that, his sweet little girlfriend has Crohn's really bad and is facing another surgery, yikes!!! He has complained over the years of heart palpitations, and since my Dad dies of a heart attack @ 44 yrs of age, and I have 14 uncles that passed before age 55 of heart attacks, he has been to a cardiologist, as recently as last fall, and that checked out okay. He has high cholesterol, which surprised me because he's active, not overweight, etc., but isn't on any meds for that. That's all I can think of as far as other health issues that he has? I bought him a blood test meter today, and have such a headache waiting for him to call with the results of what his blood sugar is. Wish I had insurance so I could afford to check myself into the local mental health hospital, and I am serious about that, if he ends up with a blood sugar of 400 or something! Like I said, I'm sounding like a real drama queen, and I'm not usually like that, but I'm already watching one son kill himself which is breaking my heart, so I sure don't want the other one to end up with some serious health problem. Thanks for listening, and I will check out the info you gave me. You all are great (and so smart!). I'm just so scared!

Old 09-05-2007, 11:25 PM   #13
(male)

Nexis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
this could possibly be a sympathetic nervous system issue of some sort.if there is something somehow affecting it,it could produce ALOT of sweating. FB

Feelbad I was curious to see if you had your SNS monitered before since I never heard of a machine in the USA, yet I went to a neurologist here in Tokyo and they imported a SNS evaluation machine made in South Korea....They evaluated everything, which only takes under 10 minutes...Its an amazing little machine!

Feelbad I am interested in this topic as well since its rarely brought up by doctors in general...

Yes its true because an imbalanced SNS will cause anxiety symptoms and sweating is one of the primary signs...

Sondra this is something to consider too since you did say your son is active and healthy and just sweating alone could be anything at this point so please do not worry much, just have him see a doctor....

Last edited by Nexis; 09-05-2007 at 11:26 PM.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:03 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i was not even aware there was an actual 'machine' that could actually monitor the SNS.with my damage,they went by symptomology.when i awoke in post op recovery right after this spinal cord surgery,one huge thing i remeber is the docs and nurses all trying to get my heart rhythem under control(it took them over an hour).i have never ever before in my life had any sort of a cardiac issue,nothing.so that was new.when i was transferred to actute rehab to try and relearn to walk again(about two weeks post op) with my L leg and get some dexterity back into my left hand,the second night i was there i developed what is called "horners syndrome" i had looked into the mirror and noticed the light above was not bouncing off my eyes in an even way?i looked closer and saw that my left pupil was very constricted and my right one was absolutely huge.i thought i had developed a CSF leak at the surgical site of something.i worked in EMS for almost fifteen years and knew just from what i experienced with uneven pupils that this was NOT a good thing.but as it turned out,this horners eye was a symptom as well of sympathetic damage.it also made my lower eyelid droop.its really strange.my right pupil reacts normally to light but my left one is always constricted now and has been ever since oct of 03 the night it changed in rehab.i didn't realize just how much is actually governed by the SNS til very strange things just started happening to my body.every day has been ann adventure since the SCI occured along with the SNS being hit too.

i am just wondering nexis,do you actually have some level of SNS damage from something?that little machine sounds really cool.i am sure it would have lots of fun with my messed up SNS.

try and just hang in there sondra.believe me, between what i have been thru and my youngest son as well,but in so many different ways,things can get pretty overwhelming at times.try and look at what ever positives you have in your life right now.it does help to try and keep your mind off of all the crap.if i hadn't started doing this last year,i think i would have actually totally lost my freakin mind.sometimes life can really get to you and you do wonder why me?but you have gotten thru what sounds like some pretty awful times and you are still here.that IS something,believe me i do know how that feels.hopefully there is some rather innocuous reason for your sons sweating that can be easily rectified and explained.you have more than enough on your plate right now so please don't take on more right now than you absolutely have to,K?take things one day at a time and think of what good things you have in your life right now,not the crap.it does help some.please let us know how things are going,K? take care sondra, FB

Old 09-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #15
(female)

sondra52 HB User

feelbad
After hearing what all you've had to deal with yourself, I feel bad for even worrying about my son's sweating, although I will worry until the doctors figure out what's going on. From my experiences where I live, I don't have a lot of confidence in the medical community here, unfortunately. But I'm sure we'll figure out what's going on, and maybe it won't be anything major. Like I said, it sounds like you've been through so much, that I appreciate your concern for me and my drama. I feel like I've been grieving my oldest son's death for 16 years, and he isn't even gone (yet!), and it's been heartwrenching coming to the terms that, short of a Divine intervention, which I haven't given up on, his days on this earth are pretty numbered. So sad. Anyway, thanks for your concern and ideas for things I can check out. And Nexis, I want to thank you, too, and run something by you quick. Until my son can get in and get the testing done that you suggested, I did have him try something. I had gotten him a blood test machine (guess he had three he had found up at his Dad's--darn!!), and had him do a fasting blood sugar, which was 87, and then about an hour after he ate supper, he did another one, and it was 114. You and feelbad are so much smarter about all of this medical stuff, but do you think that should give me any piece of mind that at least at this time he must not have Type 1 diabetes? Just curious.
Bless you both for your suggestions for things to check, and for the concern. It means more than you'll ever know!

Last edited by sondra52; 09-06-2007 at 02:54 PM.

Closed Thread