It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User
Retaining a little water...normal???

Hey everyone, is it normal as we women get older to retain a little water and have edema? The reason I ask, is because I have had the hurt, lungs, bloodwork, dopplers and everything else I can think of tested and everything has come out fine. I just notice that if I cross one foot over the leg, I have a dent from where it was crossed. It only happens on one side though. I was told that as we get older, we retain water so is all of this normal? Because no doctor can find anything wrong. I wouldn't think it would be, but, what do I know. I just don't want to keep running to Dr's if this is pretty normal.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:40 AM   #2
(male)

Nexis HB User
Re: Retaining a little water...normal???

A doctor told me that water retention, especially in women is completely normal...

Especially later in the evening...

Also, I am a unaware how old you are, yet hormones play an important part of fluid retention as well...

If its only one side and its just a dent, it would appear non-pathological, and your personal physiological characteristic...

Yet if you see it bothersome, it could be other condtions as well, such as prediabetes, excessive salt consumption, etc...

Last edited by Nexis; 09-05-2007 at 06:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 07:00 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User
Re: Retaining a little water...normal???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
A doctor told me that water retention, especially in women is completely normal...

Especially later in the evening...

Also, I am a unaware how old you are, yet hormones play an important part of fluid retention as well...

If its only one side and its just a dent, it would appear non-pathological, and your personal physiological characteristic...

Yet if you see it bothersome, it could be other condtions as well, such as prediabetes, excessive salt consumption, etc...
I am in my mid 40's and I really don't see it as bothersome, but, when I see the "dent" from crossing my feet or something I just think "wow never had that before! Of i wear a sandal across my foot, while it doesn't hurt, when I take them off, my foot has puffed up because of where the strap was pressing. But, then I walk around in my bare feet for awhile and that goes away. I have had that problem for many years and again, had it checked and nothing was found. That was partly why I had all this testing done with the heart etc.. because of the foot swelling. Thanks for your reply!!

Closed Thread