It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 01:44 AM   #1
(male)

jools182 HB User
psycho-somatic symptoms while sleeping?

Hi

I have been having a lot of what I think are heart related problems for years now, although tests so far have proved negative. Chest, left arm, jaw pain, dizziness, lightheaded, etc

Over the last few nights i have been waking up with left arm pain, tingling and numbness in my left arm and hand. I am definitely not sleeping on my arm, so can I have psycho somatic symptoms while I am asleep?

Last edited by jools182; 09-06-2007 at 01:44 AM.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:55 AM   #2
(male)

Nexis HB User
Re: psycho-somatic symptoms while sleeping?

Are you having these symptoms only whilst asleep?

Do you wake up from the pain or just wake up with the numbness?

Numbness and tingling when awaking is not just psychosomatic; it indicates a condition which could be temporary...

Please tell us more so others can help you on this board...

Last edited by Nexis; 09-06-2007 at 03:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2007, 03:58 AM   #3
(male)

jools182 HB User

Hi

I don't get these symptoms only when I am sleeping

I can wake up with pain or numbness

Old 09-06-2007, 04:05 AM   #4
(male)

Nexis HB User

It can indicate you are not getting enough oxygen due to sleep Apnea or other idiopathic sleep condition...

Please tell us more in depth all the others symptoms...

Also how is your weight and do you feel tired in the morning because of these symptoms?

Old 09-06-2007, 04:13 AM   #5
(male)

jools182 HB User

Hi

Here is what I have posted previously about my symptoms. The latest update is that my Cardiologist has discharged me without giving me an Angiogram as he thinks there is nothing wrong with me (deja vu!)

My symptoms started about 7 years ago when I was sat at work. I suddenly felt as though I was falling backwards off my chair along with the same falling kind of feeling you sometimes get when you are falling asleep. These feelings only lasted a few seconds and I seemed to be able to snap myself out of it. About 2 or 3 weeks after these symptoms I had a really bad dizzy spell, I just felt like I was losing consciousness, felt really confused and scared. I went home and went to bed for about a week, feeling like I had flu or something. Really weak and shaky and cold and dizzy.

After that I had occasional bouts of dizziness and feeling unsteady on my feet but eventually seemed to return to some normality although I never really felt 'right'.

A year or so later I started getting dizziness along with feeling flu like symptoms. I could usually tell in the morning if I was going to have a bad day, just a feeling. My symptoms then started with cold feet and lower legs and just feeling generally grotty.

I have had periods where I felt ok, but not anymore. I remember feeling ok for a good few months then one day I had stabbing pains in the front of my left shoulder and I was feeling clammy. I went to the cinema and while I was sitting there I suddenly felt like the room had been turned upside down and almost fell of my seat. After that I didn't feel good again for a long time.

Since then it seem like I have a constant level of dizziness which never really goes away along with nausea, chest pain etc

Over the years I have often thought there might be a heart problem because I have had chest pains since being about 16, but the tests that have been carried out so far have been negative. I even remember asking my parents when I was about 8 if children could have heart attacks, not sure why!

I used to be fairly active, mountain biking , walking, gym. I even did a bungy jump in New Zealand which I thought I'd never do, but these days I don't do anything because I feel so bad

During this time I have been checked for Marfans Syndrome, have had ECG's blood tests, exercise tests and echoes of my heart, and tilt tests for blood pressure. I recently saw a neurologist who suggested I may be suffering from Basilar Artery Migraine. He put me on beta blockers which seemed to help a little bit for a while but then I think I passed out, I was so scared I went to the Emergency dept who said there was nothing wrong with me. I went to see my GP and he took me off the beta blockers.

I have been to the Emergency Dept about 4 or 5 times over the years because I have felt so bad like I was about to pass out

My symptoms seem to be getting more frequent these days and lasting for much longer periods of time. I have this constant dizziness, and worse still this feeling of being unreal, dreamlike, numb, somehow detached from reality

I have not had a full week in work since last October when I had a really bad episode of feeling like I was losing consciousness; I was really pale and cold.

I feel like crap the whole time and my GP doesn't seem interested in my symptoms or how scared I am.

I used to be quite sociable and I like the outdoors life and going to the gym etc, but now I am scared to go anywhere. Last time I went a decent walk I got the same symptoms again, feeling like I was passing out and feeling numb, and it also happened last time I went out on my mountain bike, so now I don't do any exercise.

I have lost my girlfriend of 2 and a half years because of this and I think I will lose my job

I have trouble leaving the house these days as I am worried about having a bad attack when I am out somewhere

I went back to see a cardiologist as my Mum has contacts and got another tilt test which proved negative, however he now wants to do an Angiogram soon just to make sure, but I am so scared about this test. I have read about the risks and you can have a stroke, heart attack, kidney failure etc. My GP has expressed reluctance in letting me have this test and I don't know what to do. I had a stress echo about 2 weeks ago but that didn't show anything.

I have also been to see an ENT and have had balance tests which seemed negative

I have been feeling really bad the past few weeks. Feeling lightheaded as though I am about to pass out almost constantly. I am also getting pains in my left arm and shoulder that can last a few hours or even days. along with occasional chest pains and back pains and jaw pain. I am falling apart

Old 09-06-2007, 05:25 AM   #6
(male)

Nexis HB User

Have you been tested for any autoimmune conditions? Its rare for a man to have hypothyroid yet I know someone that does...

Are you losing any weight or is steady? So far, it could be Addison's Disease, Lyme Disease or another rare condition...

Do you feel tired or just dizzy? Have you had your neck xray'ed to check for nerve obstruction? My doctor just did this for me yet nothing was wrong, yet since you mentioned you did alot of physical activity ( so did I) and if you ever had any sort of sports injury, it may have affected your spinal cord...

There's a poster here name "Feelbad" he seems very attuned to spinal conditions....

This is a very interesting post because I have the SAME exact issue, with my hands going numb upon awaking which only began after some mysterious illness a few months back...

Yet I have had the dizzy spells and lost social life due this similar condition for many years, and its horrible!

I sometimes feel like its a hypoglycemic attack since I feel very dizzy and tired if I eat too much sugar, since I found out I was prediabetic...

Do you have any other conditons/diagnosis? It may be related....

This is a tricky one and I think that your second post is much more concise...

I hope others here can give you advice.. Please keep us posted...

Last edited by Nexis; 09-06-2007 at 05:34 AM.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

confused32 HB User

I feel as if we could be twins with the symptoms you listed in your post. I have been suffering left arm pain/numbness, chest pain, left side jaw pain and back pain for almost 2 years. I have had every test besides a cath. I have had 2 nuclear stress test in less than 2 years, nothing shows up as being wrong with my heart.

A few months ago i was being woke up with pain and numbess in my left arm. I almost went to the ER a few nites but didnt end up going. I figured they would tell me the usual thing.......anxiety!!!! My pains come for days at a time sometimes and then leave for days at a time. I never know when its going to happen.

I have the lightheadedness alot also. Right now im sick with some kind of chest cold my throat hurts im coughing and my back is killing me. Add those problems along with the ones i suffer from everyday and my life feels like im in ****. I know what you mean about being scared to leave the house and start feeling bad, i go through that everyday. Its a chore to me just to get up and go to work.

I wish we could find out what the cause of these symptoms is. It is weird that some of us on here suffer from all the same things but none of us know what it is.

I hope you get to feeling better and im here alot if you want to talk.

Confused

Old 09-07-2007, 05:32 AM   #8
(male)

Nexis HB User

This is strange because the numbness and tingling this morning was only in my left arm as well...

Is this an indication of something?

Why not the right arm as well?

Closed Thread