It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
(female)

caprovidence HB User
Question sores in corner of mouth, suggestions?

Hello, this is my first post. I have a question about cracking and soreness at the corners of my mouth. The left corner of my mouth is sore and cracked and this has happened to me only one other time, I believe. I never get fever blisters but now I am paranoid that that is what this is since my fiance says it occurs to him fairly often. From what I've seen, fever blisters occur as sores on the lips not just cracks in the corners, so what do ya'll think? Am I just being paranoid or what?

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: sores in corner of mouth, suggestions?

I occasionally get that kind of sore. Ain't it the pits?

Searching online led me to find the name of the condition... "angular chelitis". There is varying opinion for the cause of it, but the one that makes the most sense to me is that it's a fungal infection originating in the mouth. Licking the lips or night drooling causes infected saliva to come into contact with the folds in the lip corners, setting up infection there.

I've tried a lot of products trying to heal them. The one that never fails to work is Campho-Phenique. It might be a little difficult to locate, but it can be found in various online drugstores. Apparently, there is also a prescription anti-fungal cream called Mycolog II you can get from a doctor. I've never had the need to go that far, because the Campho works for me.

If your diet isn't so hot, taking a multivitamin every day might prevent them; extra B vitamin complex tablets may help if your diet is already pretty good.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
(female)

caprovidence HB User

thanks for the advice. Not herpes; that's a relief!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

I think I would have it checked by a Doc. There are sores which they call cold sores that are on the edges of the mouth and lips. They are ***** and scabby when they get bad. Usually you see them on people in the winter time. There are mostly herpie type and contagious.

There are just these little cracks on the side of the mouth like you yawned to big and it cracks and hurts. These are usually a vitamin need like c and d, and keep vaseline on them till they heal in the corners. They go away and don't look bad just hurt.
But the campho phinique is the best for drying th little cracks up fast. You can get it in any drugstore.Goodluck with it

Old 02-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
(male)

qwerty2008 HB User

I've been having angular chelitis on and off for a couple of years already. It really hurts at the corner of the mouth. I didn't seem to find any successful remedy online. Being so frustrated, I experimented and investigated what was the main cause.

I started using Nivea Lip care. This has helped minimize it, but it keeps coming back if I'm off it.

Next, I was using baking soda for my mouthwash and toothpaste. For a month, I notice that the chelitis has somewhat minimized. I've not been having any of it for 2 weeks, which is the longest relief I've had in these couple of years.

However, it went back again. I was really mad. I combined both remedies, to bring me relief, but it keeps on coming back on and off. However, it did minimize it. Although I can still see the crack at the corner, but it looks shorter and manageable now.

But, I want to get rid of it for life!

I began to investigate one day. Since this involved my mouth, I started to check everything that comes in contact with my mouth. From my hands and to the food I eat. Nothing seems to be directly connected with it. But, I studied the glass where I drink the water from daily.

It seems that the mouth of the glass keeps in contact with the corners of my mouth when I'm drinking water. I think that the mouth of the glass might be contaminated with bacterias while in storage. So, I started to drink without having the corners of my mouth in contact with the brim of the glass. It's tricky and I always spill the water on my shirt. It best to use a straw.

After a week, I didn't have any chelitis. The corner of my mouth started to heal fast. 2 weeks has passed, nothing. 3 weeks then 4 weeks, then 2 months. I found the cure at last! It was so simple and yet very effective!

It was the damn brim of the glass which transferred some sort of bacteria at the corner of my mouth. It got infected. No wonder no matter how many times I applied the lip balm and gargle my mouth and brush my teeth with baking soda, it keeps coming back because I drink water a lot with the damn glass!

Now, I'm totally cured! I will never drink water again from a glass. I will drink it from a straw or from a bottle with a small mouth so it won't get in contact with the corners of my mouth.

Pass the word around! I got the cure. Yipee!!!! I'm free at last!!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Funny you should mention the corners of your mouth are sore...mine too! I was just mentioning that to a friend that what's up with that! I get it every once in awhile I just figure it is winter so lips are dryer and also I am eating more grapefruit than normal so maybe the acid from the juice? So who knows but for sure NOT herpes of any kind.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
(female)

JustMeInID HB User

I've had this problem off and on my whole life, and one of my children gets it, too. Because I've also gotten sores in my nose occasionally, too, especially when it's dry outside, and because noses can be carriers of staph, I've wondered if the two (nose/corners of the mouth) aren't related somehow.

Closed Thread