It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

diana222 HB User
always hungry

Hi. I'm a sixteen-year-old female and am constantly hungry. No matter how much I eat, I rarely feel totally satisfied. Sometimes I eat a lot and my stomach expands and I start making weird noises and I feel full in like my throat (as if I was going to throw up or something) but at the same time I have the feeling of being hungry. Sometimes when I'm done eating I feel hungrier than I was before I started eating. Please help! It is so not fun!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
(female)

cookingmom HB User
Re: always hungry

hi,
I know exactly what you mean because I feel the same thing. I am much older than you but I understand how frustrating this is. I am actually having a few tests to see if they can figure out if there is a reason. I hope you too can find answers to what is going on.

Good luck to you. Bern

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Have your blood sugar tested, being hungry like that was how i found out I was diabetic. You may be lucky and just be hungry...but check it out sandy

Last edited by sunshine12; 09-10-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I agree. You need to see your doctor and be evaluated. Tell your parents that you need to go. This can be a sign of many health problems. Make an appointment right away. Good Luck!

Old 09-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
(male)

Nexis HB User

It could be a symptoms of prediabetes or Diabetes...

Please have them give a a Oral Glucose Tolerance Test, since your panel fasting blood glucose may normal...

Old 09-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #6
(female)

diana222 HB User

Is it urgent because I've had this for about a year and a half? I've told my parents about it several times but they haven't been concerned. I also mentioned this to my endocrinologist but he didn't say anything. I think it's because my parents are more worrying about all my other health problems (acne, scoliosis, no period.)

About 2 years ago, I used to eat less to lose weight (horrible mistake!-I wasn't even overweight) and when I finally stopped eating less and started eating a normal amount, I could never satisfy myself. I ate as much or more as my dad, and he's a pretty big guy. I didn't care that my weight had gone up a little. Then after a while I kind of started gaining a lot more weight, even though I was so hungry, so I tried to eat as much as my twin sister and my mom and that's pretty much what I've been doing since then.

I hate being hungry, but I'm kind of used to it. I only feel full if I eat A LOT and then my stomach hurts and is really big and I make strange noises.

Also, I faint/feel weezy really easily sometimes being in a hospital or getting a blood test or at the mention of blood and I have often fainted/felt weezy at the mention of menstrual cycles, which is very strange/embarassing, especially since I'm 16 and I don't have my period. I used to be really afraid of getting a period, but now that I'm older I don't really care much, but I just want to get it because I feel abnormal. But I still feel like I want to faint sometimes if I hear people talk about it. I have been told that I faint sometimes possibly because my blood sugar is low. Could the fainting have anything to do with being hungry a lot?

I've had my blood tested and it says my glucose level is about in the middle of the normal margin.

Last edited by diana222; 09-12-2007 at 08:51 PM.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
(female)

miss_prolixity HB User

Hi Diana!

I am sorry that you're doing through this.

Please don't delay getting your periods, etc. on track. I also stopped having my periods when I was a teen. It's definitely not normal and can lead to several other problems if left untreated.

I am glad to hear that you're going to an endocrinologist. But keep pursuing the doctors to run more tests if they're not giving you cut and clear answers to why certain things are happening--especially not having a period, fainting, light headness, etc. I was in and out of the doctors most of my teens and early 20's until I diagnosed myself. I found out I have a condition called PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome). I had some of the same symptoms you have: no periods, extreme hunger, acne, overweight, etc. I am also borderline diabetic 2 and have hypoglycemic attacks. I'd definitely ask your Physician to check your blood levels for this condition.

One thing about having PCOS is the fact that when I ate carbs I always felt hungry. I could eat a large meal and then a few hours I would be hungry again. I never felt satisfied and I always craved sweets or something starchy. This routine went on most of my teens and early 20's until I found out about the PCOS disease and learned how to cope with this condition. I then decided to change my diet and eliminate sugar, flour, and anything with a high glycemic level. For the first two weeks it was agony. But after I got use to eating this way it got a lot easier.

Another thing that benefitted me was that changing my diet lead to normal periods, acne reduction (mine actually cleared up - unless I start consuming sugar and starchy foods again), weight loss and an overall feeling of better health. My triglyceride levels are normal again, so is my cholesterol and blood pressure. It is truly amazing how eating healthier has so many benefits.

Anyhow, I truly pray you keep abreast on this situation and find a doctor who will pursue your condition and treat it properly. Don't dely treating your absent periods. You don't want to further complicate your situation. Best of luck - MissP

Last edited by miss_prolixity; 09-13-2007 at 02:25 PM.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

How is your weight today, low or high or in the normal range?

I know that going on a diet can mess up your hunger/satiety sensations, but the way you describe it it seems a bit extreme to just stem from that.

Have you been tested for diabetes? (Not just a lood sugar test, doesn't it take some kind of urine test? but I am not sure, am no doctor either.)

Maybe you can try to write down what you eat for a week or so, and see how much you are eating exactly?

Kathrin

Old 09-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
(female)

diana222 HB User

Kathrin, my weight is exactly normal, 116 pounds. I'm not that skinny. My stomach protrudes a lot for people who have skinny arms and legs and breasts like me, so I always feel kind of dispreportioned. That's why I used to be sort of annorexic. But I found out it's a family trait to have a protruding stomach and so I just exercise more and I don't care as much anymore.

Miss_prolixity, I think the endocrinologist said he would wait a few months to start my period, but that we might start it early since it is kind of related to scoliosis (because many girls with delayed periods have worse scoliosis). So I am kind of waiting for my mom to decide what to do about that. I don't totally care whether or not I get it, but I kind of want it to feel normal. I don't plan to have kids because I'm too afraid, which is kind of sad, because I'd really like to have kids of my own.

I'm not overweight though. I had an ultrasound done about my period and they said I have cysts on my ovaries or uterus or something but that that is normal.

I really eat pretty healthy. I don't eat many desserts and I don't really crave them much either.

My family doctor knows I faint and he doesn't seem concerned. I am learning to fight my fainting better, but sometimes it is out of my control. I used to also feel like fainting being on risers in choir class, but I seem to have talked myself out of it/forgotten that fainting feeling or something.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but my endocrinologist found out that some of my hormones are at abnormal levels.

Last edited by diana222; 09-13-2007 at 07:39 PM.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:46 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

Hmm... so you eat a LOT (but healthy) and always feel hungry, but you don't gain much weight from it? Is that right? (In that case, I would also have your thyroid checked?)

Kathrin

Old 09-14-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
(female)

diana222 HB User

I kind of eat a lot now and I'm not really gaining weight but before when I used to eat A LOT I started gaining weight, so I ate a little less because I figured that eating a lot must be making me gain weight because eating A LOT I would gain like 3 pounds every week and my weight was around 126-ish. That was when I ate as much as my dad. But now I try to eat as much as people my age and my mom and twin sister, so now I weigh 116.

As I said, I went to the endocrinologist and got my thyroid check because of my lack of period and they said that some of the hormone levels were too high or too low. I asked my endocrinologist about my thyroid problems being linked to my hunger but he didn't really say anything.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:48 PM   #12
(female)

kate92 HB User

OMGOSH
i am 1* and have the EXACT same problem.
that is actually why im on this site right now.
totry to figure out what is wrong with me

no matter how much i eat. i feel more hungry. and its starting to make me gain weight. but i cant really control it. because if i wait till lunch or dinner to eat after my previous meal with NO snack or any other food. i feel like i will throw up , or faint.
i neeeedddd to figure out with is wrong with me. i cant take it anymore.
i haveall my sports starting next week and its crazy training which isnt good if im going to faint.

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-11-2007 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Read and follow the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Old 11-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

Hey Kate,

Have you talked to your parents about this?

Maybe something is wrong with your blood sugar? It sounds like you get hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) between meals. I am really no expert though. I think you should see a doctor.

Kathrin

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-11-2007 at 03:34 PM. Reason: No longer applies, referes to part of a post that was removed due to rules violation. Ms_Mod

Old 11-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #14
(female)

kate92 HB User

yes i have talked to my parents about this

about 30 minutes ago i ate a whole can of chick peas. CRAZY loaded with protein which should have filled me up. but deffinately has not . and right now im at the point of starvation. im so hungry.

i ahte going to the doctors though because they can never figure out what is wrong with me whenever i go.

thats strange that you think it is hypoglysimia because isnt that the opposite of diabeties? im just guessing on what ive heard
because i have a very high chance of being diabetic since it runs extremely high on bothe sides of my family.

but i will surely go and see the doctors

Old 11-11-2007, 03:29 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

Kate,

as I said I am no expert, but I think if you are diabetic it means your blood sugar is out of whack and that can go in both directions. Hypoglycemia often occurs. And at other times the blood sugar can be too high.
If you say diabetes runs in your family that is certainly something to have checked as soon as possible, because it is very damaging for your body to go through those blood sugar ups and downs all the time.

Just to make sure, have you tried counting how many calories per day you eat?

Kathrin

Closed Thread