It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
(female)

pixie637 HB User
Question Can I give my 9 1/2 month old son 2% cows milk?

I have just ran out of formula and very little money. Can I give my son 2% cows milk at 9 1/2 months. Its all I have, please help!

Old 09-11-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Re: Can I give my 9 1/2 month old son 2% cows milk?

Why don't you call the pediatrician and explain. They may have free samples of formula they can give you and if not may be able to point you in the right direction as to where you can get some assistance. Has your son ever had milk before? The biggest concern would be an allergy (if you're only giving it for a couple of feedings) But milk does not have all the vitamins and nutrients such a young baby needs so I wouldn't do it for all feedings just yet. It might be ok untill you can get some formula but be careful-he may not like the formula after he's had milk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
(female)

pixie637 HB User
Question Re: Can I give my 9 1/2 month old son 2% cows milk?

He hasn't had milk by itself before, but he's had food products with milk and cheese and other dairy like that. He doesn't seem to have any reaction to that. I don't plan on giving it to him for all feeding I do feed him baby food and ground up adult food as well. I was only wondering if he could have 2% for like bed. I have read other places that say only whole milk. But I only have 2% and lots of it. Is this ok for just the bedtime feedings if I haven't seen any reaction to other food products? Also how should I give it to him? should I only start with just a little? should I warm it?

Old 09-14-2007, 05:32 AM   #4
(female)

tracygirl HB User
Re: Can I give my 9 1/2 month old son 2% cows milk?

Hi Pixie. I listed a little information below that may be helpful;

Q: Why is milk called skim, 1%, 2%, and homogenized?

A: The names of the different types of milk refer to how much fat (by weight) is in the milk. Skim milk has less than 0.3% fat or less than 0.3g fat per 100g of milk. 1% milk has 1g fat per 100g of milk. 2% milk has 2g fat per 100g milk, and homogenized milk has 3.25g fat per 100g milk.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that infants remain on breast milk or formula until one year of age. The academy also advises whole milk, rather than low fat or fat free milk, for children between the ages of 1–2. Babies need extra fat for growth, development and a healthy immune system.

I have had some friends who started their children on **** milk slightly before they turned the age of one with no problems. I would speak to your pediatrician and explain your situation to him/her. Being that your baby close to a year in age he may say it's ok, or advise you to wait one more month or two. **** milk is slightly (not a lot) more expensive than 2% and you can drink it yourself. It may be hard for you to get used to since it is a lot thicker than the 2%.

Goodluck to you........let us know how you make out.

Closed Thread