It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
(male)

ScenicWonder HB User
Incessant Throat Clearing / Non-Productive Cough 10 Months

I live in the SF bay area, non-smoker and for about 10 months now I've been plagued with a chronic, constant throat clearing "hawking" which sometimes leads to a non-productive whooping type of cough. It started when I came down with a cold or flu type illness in Nov. 2006 which passed like any other typical cold/flu, but left me with this throat thing. It's absolutely maddening! And no one seems to know what's going on or what to do to cure these symptoms.

It starts as soon as I wake up, that feeling of something in the back of my throat that causes me to start the "aheming" which goes on all day long. For a while my ribs were hurting because of it. I think at this point my body has adapted so that I don't hurt from it or lose sleep, but it's still just absolutely crazy making! It's as if there's something in my throat that I can neither cough up or swallow down, triggering both a very hard, constant swallowing and throat clearing. The symptoms remain constant no matter where I go in or out of town.

I'm not on any medications other than the ones I've been given to treat this, whatever it is. I've had a chest x-ray, sinus scope, endoscopy, an allergy test. All my vital signs are normal, healthy, no signs of infection. I've seen the Allergist, Internist, ENT, and Gastrointeroligist. Each one sees possible signs of causes related to they're own specialties and thus I've been put on Rx (Protonix, Asiphex, Prilosec) for reflux, Mucinex and (Claritin-d, Allegra, Flonase, Astalin and local bee honey), for allergies. Yet I don't experience allergies nor heartburn-reflux type symptoms and for several months now I've been popping pills and sniffing nasal sprays all to no avail.

My doctors seemed stumped. Medications are not working. This throat thing is driving me crazy and I don't know what to do next! Can anyone out there help me or know someone who could?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 07:02 AM   #2
(female)

Raeann HB User
edited by Raeann

Last edited by Raeann; 09-16-2008 at 08:41 AM.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User
Re: Incessant Throat Clearing / Non-Productive Cough 10 Months

Has anyone ever suggested that it could possibly be due to anxiety? I have the constant swallowing thing (came back under stress) and it's been suggested to me that it might be generalized anxiety or I even feel it could be OCD - obsessive-compulsive disorder. Just a thought. I also have reflux, so I tend to sometimes get excess saliva, which I feel is caused by the excess of acid that I have. I'm going to re-start my Aciphex. Reflux or allergies were going to be my other suggestions, because reflux could cause a cough, extra mucous or I've even heard a feeling of things getting stuck in your throat. I don't know your belief system, but I believe in the healing power of prayer and will keep you in mine.

danni

Old 09-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
(female)

winterj HB User

i have a constant cough too, and none of the meds seem to work for me either

Old 09-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
(female)

Mia4 HB User

That almost sounds like me. I generally don't cough, but I feel like something is annoying my thoat, and sometimes feel like I have to try to clear it, but, it doesn't seem to make a difference at all. It's not very bad... But it never goes away! It's pretty annoying. =/

Old 09-14-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScenicWonder View Post
I live in the SF bay area, non-smoker and for about 10 months now I've been plagued with a chronic, constant throat clearing "hawking" which sometimes leads to a non-productive whooping type of cough. It started when I came down with a cold or flu type illness in Nov. 2006 which passed like any other typical cold/flu, but left me with this throat thing. It's absolutely maddening! And no one seems to know what's going on or what to do to cure these symptoms.

It starts as soon as I wake up, that feeling of something in the back of my throat that causes me to start the "aheming" which goes on all day long. For a while my ribs were hurting because of it. I think at this point my body has adapted so that I don't hurt from it or lose sleep, but it's still just absolutely crazy making! It's as if there's something in my throat that I can neither cough up or swallow down, triggering both a very hard, constant swallowing and throat clearing. The symptoms remain constant no matter where I go in or out of town.

I'm not on any medications other than the ones I've been given to treat this, whatever it is. I've had a chest x-ray, sinus scope, endoscopy, an allergy test. All my vital signs are normal, healthy, no signs of infection. I've seen the Allergist, Internist, ENT, and Gastrointeroligist. Each one sees possible signs of causes related to they're own specialties and thus I've been put on Rx (Protonix, Asiphex, Prilosec) for reflux, Mucinex and (Claritin-d, Allegra, Flonase, Astalin and local bee honey), for allergies. Yet I don't experience allergies nor heartburn-reflux type symptoms and for several months now I've been popping pills and sniffing nasal sprays all to no avail.

My doctors seemed stumped. Medications are not working. This throat thing is driving me crazy and I don't know what to do next! Can anyone out there help me or know someone who could?
did they check your thyroid? it will make you feel like something is in your throat.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
(female)

Catykity HB User
Unhappy Re: Incessant Throat Clearing / Non-Productive Cough 10 Months

I too have had this incessant coughing ever since I developed what they called a "virus of unknown etiology" back in December of 2005. I also have GERD and a hiatal hernia. Back then, they cat scanned my lungs and saw what they said were "infiltrates of unknown origin." My pulmonologist was certain I had a form of pneumonia that's very difficult to get rid of, but these infiltrates cleared up by themselves, attested to by the myriad cat scans they made me have of my lungs during this period.

My gastroenterologist says the coughing, he thinks, is from the GERD and the Hiatal. I disagree with him, because it started with this virus I had where I coughed for two months straight before it let up some. I've been coughing ever since, particularly when I lie on my back, (it lets up when I lie on my side to sleep). But asa I turn over onto my back, the coughing spells start immediately!

Right now, I'm getting over another "virus of unknown etiology", (I was tested for Flu and tested negative), and this one comes with a cough too. I've now coughed so hard that I've separated some ribs so that all movement is excruciatingly painful, i.e, breathing, coughing, walking, etc. I let them X-Ray my lungs this time rather than cat scan them because of the recent reports of Cancer from cat scans. With all the cat scans I've had, I should have Cancer by now throughout my body (lol)!

I too am at my wit's end trying to figure out how to get rid of this danged cough that's been going on for almost 3 years now! I get the feeling that the doctors really don't have a clue, so what are we paying these high fees for anyway!

Sincerely,
Lida

Old 04-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
(female)

Catykity HB User

P.S. - I'm an "ex-smoker", having quit 26 years ago, fyi...
Lida

Old 04-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Do you by chance take an Ace inhibiter for hypertension? Aces cause coughing.

Irrigate sinuses with salt/soda solution at night and it will help reduce amount of sinus drainage. 1 cup boiled water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, dissolve, strain thru paper coffee filter, fill clean nasal squirt bottles, COOL. Lie on back with head off bed, squirt 3 squirts solution into nasal passages, turn head from side to side very slowly, say kkkkkk while getting up to keep solution from running down throat, gently blow nose as needed. Make new solution every week.

Taking 1/2 or 1 teaspoon plain Robitussin at bedtime will keep the drainage thinned.

I am not a medical professional, speaking from experience only. The salt/soda solution was approved for me by my doctor.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

If it is LPR reflux, it takes a double dosage of PPI to help with the cough. I take Prevacid two times per day and it worked to get my cough under control.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User

I thought nobody had this but me, I met my husband 4 years ago and thats when this started I feel like I have to constantly clear my throat and I cant get it up everybody hates to have me in the room I have had several CT scans and xrays and they have found nothing they tried giving me double doses of prilosec thinking it was acid reflux causing it still no help I have been to several allergists taken different medicines and nasal sprays and allergy shots nothing helps me if you find anything please let me know.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #12
(female)

Catykity HB User

No, Misty, I don't take any Ace Inhibitors. However, I've been on a pediatric dose of Klonopin for 22 years now, as I have Peripheral Neuropathy. Coughing is not one of Klonopin's side effects.

What's interesting is that I had an endoscopy approximately two weeks before I contracted the virus in 05, that left me with this cough, and I've been wondering if I picked up anything "evil" during the endoscopy?! Guess I'll never know now!

Also, Misty, I've been using a product called "Ocean" which is a premixed nasal irrigator, that can be purchased at any pharmacy. I've been doing pretty much what you recommend, only with this product. It does help push the mucous through, but there is just so much of it, constantly dangling in my throat, causing the cough! I've been ill now going on 3 weeks and am told that it's a month before people are feeling better with this one. That's pretty much the same as the virus I had back in 05, which took about the same amount of time to clear up, and left me with this awful cough!

Also of interest, is that I've been sleeping and have been in close contact with my husband and he has not contracted it! If it's airborne, I can't figure out why. Perhaps his immune system is better than mine.

Thanks everyone for your input. It's greatly appreciated!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

try this
Nasal irrigation is an ancient Ayurvedic technique known as Jala neti, which literally means nasal cleansing with water in Sanskrit, where the practitioner uses a neti pot to perform the irrigation. Because modern medicine has long supported the use of nasal irrigation to clear sinuses and prevent sinus and nasal conditions, physicians also accept Jala neti as simply one type of nasal irrigation, which can be performed using a neti pot or syringe.
I've seen them sold at chain drug stores and at health food stores. Dr. Oz on Oprah has also touted them. Do an internet search and learn more about them
To summarize, nasal irrigation can purportedly:

Clear out sticky, persistent mucus and help reduce nasal congestion
Cleanse and rid the sinus cavities of allergens, irritants, and contaminants
Treat chronic sinusitis
Treat acute bacterial rhinosinusitis
Treat allergic rhinitis
Prevent common colds and flu
Relieve nasal dryness
Promote healthy nasal passages
Treat empty nose syndrome (a crippled nose caused by over-aggressive turbinate resection)
Improve breathing
Reduce coughing and other symptoms of post-nasal drip
Temporarily reduce symptoms of phantosmia
Generally improve sinus health.

Last edited by eyesworld; 04-10-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: more info

Closed Thread