It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
(female)

magnolia_gal HB User
Stomach virus - vomited blood

Gross topic so I apologize but I want to know. I already have a doctor's appointment for Monday morning so I really want to wait, but I am still alarmed. I had a migraine Friday night and was getting ready to have surgery on Monday so I was trying not to take anything. Well, I had to take something so surgery is off. I vomited all night Friday night and Saturday morning. I had not had much to eat so I threw up a lot of bile. Well during that time I had some coffee ground appearrance in their. Not much probably really just about ten specs. I do have a lot of acid reflux which I take Zantac for. Since it was so little and have not had any other problems what do y'all think. I am still queasy but still don't know if I was throwing up from the headache (which is very uncommon for me and if I do I throw up once) or if it was a stomach virus (which is going around in my kid's school). I had read one place that it was not completely uncommon if it was in the bile, what do y'all think. I am pretty scared this morning (well since Saturday morning really).

Thanks!
Magnolia_gal

Old 09-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: Stomach virus - vomited blood

Have you had an endoscopy done recently? What type of surgery are you having? ANY blood, even a small amount, needs to be taken seriously. You may have only thrown up some of it, and there is/was actually much more. You should not go into surgery until this is checked out. If you are bleeding in your stomach, even mildly now, it could worsen during or after surgery. Some of the meds they give you could trigger it alone, not to mention the fact that anesthiesia will increase stomach acid, and no telling when you can eat. Let the doctor know ASAP. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

The blood and the vomiting coffee grounds should be mentioned to your doc immediately. This is serious, I forgot what it indicates but it is not something to ignore. I think it means gastro intestinal bleed - something more serious then the stomach virus.

I wish you luck. Please let us know how you make out.

Last edited by duzford; 09-16-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just what is the actual surgery for?what problem?if you actually threw up what appeared to be the standard "coffee ground' looking blood,it just means that whatever is bleeding is either in the stomach or right above it.it is the way partially digested blood looks like.beleieve me, when my son was suffering with the varices from liver failure/portal hypertension,we saw that gross stuff way too often.this does need to be evaluated by your doc before any surgery is done.like B fly stated above,some meds you are given for and after surgery could really become a major complication for you as far as exascerbating the bleed or the original problem that is causing it.this just needs prompt attention as you ARE actively bleeding(or were at some point) from somewhere in the upper GI tract.i wish you luck with this and hopefully it is not something overly serious.it could just be a small tear along the upper tract caused by all the vomiting too.you wont know til your doc gets a look in there.please keep us posted on how you are doing,K? FB

Old 09-17-2007, 07:38 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User

I thought I read somewhere that the coffee-grounds appearance was due to a bleeding ulcer.

In any case, if it happened to me, I wouldn't go just to the doc, I'd probably head directly for the hospital.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
(female)

magnolia_gal HB User

Well I am back from the doc this morning. The surgery I am going to have is for my knee so not related at all. I explained it all to him and he said it is not unusual when you have a stomach virus and get to the bile. As I explained to him the coffee grounds description may be a bit much for mine. Mine was more like a sprinkle of pepper. Probably less than 10 spots total. Thanks for the advice though. Now if I could just get my knee better.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hopefully you wont ever see that stuff again.good luck on the surgery.

Tivo,having the "coffee ground' look when you vomit,isn't just indicative of a bleeding ulcer,like i mentioned in my other post,all it means is that whatever is actually bleeding,it is either in the stomach(not below it in the GI tract) or above it like in the throat.it is just what digested blood actually looks like so you know it at least hit the stomach and had been there for at least about an hour. FB

Closed Thread