It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
(male)

Kis86 HB User
My voice changed sounds much different for almost 2 months now. Can some1 help me?

ok about 1 1/2 month-2 months ago my voice changed and hasn't come back, also it's harder for me to speak like I gotta push my voice or something if that makes any sense. I went on Risperdal around the time this happened so can it have anything to do with the medication? I'm currently going off that now but no change. Does anyone know if Risperdal can cause a change in the voice and make it so it's hard to speak? Also about 1 year ago I went to a Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor because I expierenced a lump in the throat and they told me it was a sensation of a lump in throat due to maybe acid reflux. My voice sounded fine during that time though so I just took the medicine they gave me for the acid reflux. My sensation of lump in throat hasn't gone away since then either though so could this be because of the chnage in voice and more hard to speak? Also I started taking a medicine for allergies which someone that worked at Eckerd told me to take and I think it worked only one time on me for a lil while my voice started coming back but then it faded back into not sounding like me. The medicine never worked again. Then yesterday I ate a Wendy's had a hot baked potatoe and my voice came back hwile I was eating it but then it faded away again. Those were the only two times my voice started coming back and easier to talk again. How could a baked potateo work and why didn't it stay helping me out? Same for the allergie medicine? What is wrong with my voice or throat? I am not experienceing any runny nose, cough's etc. don't think it's a cold cuz I wondn't be worried. It's just so hard for me to talk and then my voice doesn't sound the same anymore. Anyone know the problem or solution or what I should do would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. If someone could post a reply today I would be very thankful. So concerned for sound this way so long and becoming hard to speak so plz help. Thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
(female)

magnolia_gal HB User
Re: My voice changed sounds much different for almost 2 months now. Can some1 help me

I have heard acid reflux can do this.....I could have written your post myself in fact. I find it so similar that you commented about having to push your voice out, I have thought that for awhile now but thought I would sound so weird if I told anybody. Right now I am having that golf ball feel. I had been taken Zantac at night and it has worked pretty good. I also had to give up coffee.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User
Re: My voice changed sounds much different for almost 2 months now. Can some1 help me

How about thyroid. A goiter, large thyroid can cause pressure & account for the symptoms. Did they test your TSH? What is the number (don't settle for being told this test is "normal", optimal TSH is low, around 1.0 (though many doctors still think as high as 3.5 or 5.5 is "nornal" it 's NOT optimal).

Did you know in the USA now they must give you copies of your medical records if you request them?

Find out if they have tested your TSH (since you've had these problems) & find out what that number is. It should be low, around 1.0

If it is higher, suspect thyroid problems.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
(male)

Kis86 HB User

So it could be a oversized thyroid you said? I used to sound good when I sang songs about 2 months ago and that is when my voice changed and now I don't sound good. Will I or can I get my voice back somehow!? Also could it be from medication too? Can medication change your voice too? If so I was on Risperdal when my voice started changing...can thatdo anything? Thanks

Old 09-22-2007, 06:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User

Yes, the thyroid getting larger can affect your voice (and be a sign of thyroid problems).

I don't know about the med. But I would get my TSH tested to rule out thyroid problems (they should be testing your TSH once a year anyway). the key here is to find out what your TSH is, the number & make sure it is around 1.0 (certainly NOT higher than 2.0).

Good luck.

Last edited by GCC; 09-22-2007 at 06:16 AM.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
(female)

Isitjustme2 HB User

Please refer to my other reply,I could not get this one to post correctly

Last edited by Isitjustme2; 09-23-2007 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Did not know of post

Old 09-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #7
(female)

Isitjustme2 HB User

Please refer to my other reply I could not get this one to post.

Last edited by Isitjustme2; 09-23-2007 at 05:24 PM.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #8
(female)

Isitjustme2 HB User
Wink Re: My voice changed sounds much different for almost 2 months now. Can some1 help me

I urge you to have a chest x-ray if you have not done so already.First,acid reflux and recurrent heartburn can cause Aspiration Pneumonia.This happens when stomach acid accidentally gets into the lungs,and it only takes a little.Second,Stomach acid burns the lining of the lungs and causes scar tissue and can cause a significant change in voice,make you feel as though you have to push your voice to get your words out,and can feel as though "something is in there"when you swallow,and it can take a year or more to get your voice back after getting it.A chest x-ray can confirm if you have Aspiration Pneumonia.I know this because I got Aspiration Pneumonia in 2001 because of acid reflux.I thought I would never get my voice back!Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out!

Old 09-23-2007, 05:25 PM   #9
(female)

Isitjustme2 HB User
Wink Re: My voice changed sounds much different for almost 2 months now. Can some1 help me

I urge you to have a chest x-ray if you have not done so already.First,acid reflux and recurrent heartburn can cause Aspiration Pneumonia.This happens when stomach acid accidentally gets into the lungs,and it only takes a little.Second,Stomach acid burns the lining of the lungs and causes scar tissue and can cause a significant change in voice,make you feel as though you have to push your voice to get your words out,and can feel as though "something is in there"when you swallow,and it can take a year or more to get your voice back after getting it.A chest x-ray can confirm if you have Aspiration Pneumonia.I know this because I got Aspiration Pneumonia in 2001 because of acid reflux.I thought I would never get my voice back!Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out!

Closed Thread