It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
(male)

SJGUY99 HB User
Hot Weather Intolerance

First time poster here. Is there a scientific or medical explanation as to why some people tolerate heat better than others? I've lived in Phoenix all my life and every year I seem to tolerate the summer heat less and now even when the temp is above 90 (which is not uncommon here for 5-6 months) my body becomes exhausted and craves a breeze. Some people who live here tell me the heat doesn't bother them at all and they don't mind working outside when it's 105 degrees or taking a walk in the morning when it's 90. They notice no difference in themselves. I notice between April-September here in Phoenix, I get tired more frequently/have lack of energy, feel the need to drink water constantly (even indoors), my mind goes into a funk, and I even feel warm with the a/c set at 78 degrees in the house. I feel like I want to stay indoors all the time and gonig to the mailbox feels like I'm entering an oven. I'm a 30 year old Caucasian male and it seems like in the last few years my body can't tolerate the intense heat and feel like I'm in an oven for 5 months out of the year. When I was younger, I didn't mind the heat as much and could even go without a/c in the car. Now, I can't drive my Honda because the a/c, despite having no malfunction and being full of freon, isn't cold enough for me when everyone else says it's cold to them, so I bought a 20 yr old Oldsmobile with an ice cold a/c that will freeze you out to drive in the summer. My Dad says it's too cold and has the temp in the middle on the dial while I always turn it way to the left (coldest possible temp). I feel great being in an office building or in a car where I assume the a/c is set at around 70, but at home when the a/c is at 78 on a 110 degree day I feel warm and need water. Sometimes when I walk in to the house, I feel like it's warmer inside, even though factually it's not. I went to San Diego by the coast this summer for a one week vacation and my body/brain instantly felt so much better. It was a natural 72-75 degrees in the apartment with no air conditioning and I felt great and hardly felt the need to drink water. My weight hasn't changed, and I don't have any known health problems. Any ideas what could be contributing to heat intolerance?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2007, 01:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
Re: Hot Weather Intolerance

Any other possible symptoms like dry skin, constipation, less able to tolerate exercise, muscle weakness (like it seems they are putting the pickle jar lids on tigher than before), vision changes with more frequent blurring, brittle finger nails, callouses on the soles of your feet that weren't there before, sleepng longer than you used to, the outer 1/3 of your eyebrows seem to be lighter or missing or maybe dry eyes or nose. Some or all of these symptoms including intolerance of heat/cold are related to thyroid problems. Perhaps its time for a thyoid blood test.

Last edited by orion; 09-23-2007 at 01:55 AM.

Closed Thread