It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
(female)

kozic HB User
vascular calcifications

vascular calcifications
My Dad just received a call from his doctor after a ct of his back to evaluate pain. Doctor states his back is okay just athritis. The alarming mews was that he needs further testing for prominent vascular calcifications in the aorta. What lies ahead?

Old 09-26-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: vascular calcifications

this really is not all that unusual to have at what is a more advanced age,or sometimes(depending on the lipids,even younger).most people do not have a clue that they even have this til after a heart attack occurs and it gets checked out,or they do a stress test.the best place for him to be referred to is a vascular specailist.any real treatment would involve someone(either cardiologist or the vasc doc)going in and possibly doing like an angioplasty or even just placing a stent to push the gunk in the artery back against the wall.there are a few different options with almost all of them done all from the outside in radiology so unless there is major blockage,in most cases,there should be no 'chest opening' type of surgery.the interventional radiologists these days can do amazing things.they were there for me(i had a brain aneurysm coiled),my mom(she had a blockage that turned her finger tip totally black,just creepy.but received the stent)and my son (who needed to have a 'new' portal vein created during liver failure)you would really be amazed at what these people can do.i do think your dad will have at least a few good solid options as far as what to do with this.he will most likely be referred to one of the interventional radiologists of some sort.in most cases,the problem can be fixed during one day procedure in a radiology suite.i do wish you luck and please let me know how things are going. FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread