It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

WarGerbil HB User
Not-So Dissolvable Sutures

I had my appendix out 12/05 (Laproscopy turned open appendectomy due to it having burst). Around 4/07 I noticed a golf ball sized lump at my largest incision site. I went to a surgeon who said it was a granuloma and to heat pack it and come back in a month. It got better over that time so he said not to worry about it unless it started hurting again. This past week it started hurting again, and the scar became red and swollen. I went to urgent care today and the doctor there said I have a suture trying to work its way out of my body.

I had no idea this could even happen!! Has anyone ever experienced a suture being spit out by their bodies before?? I'm just looking for what to expect here. I've got some antibiotics and have been told to heat pack it 3X/day.

Living in my body is always an adventure.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: Not-So Dissolvable Sutures

I had this happen to my ankle after surgery. It was constantly red and purple looking, and I saw these white pieces of what looked like string coming out of the scar. I tried pulling on one, and it jerked out covered in blood and hurt like hell. I had no idea it was INSIDE my body! Freaky experience. After that, I would just get finger nail clippers to get as close to my skin as possible and clip them. I had this happen with stiff, black thread, and blue softer threads. You can still visably see some of them under the skin.

Whoever sold these as disolvable, sold a lemon of a product! Good luck. It sounds like yours is working it's way out and creating a hole where it is trying to come through. I had this too, and it took several weeks to heal with constant neosporin and band-aids. Let me know how it works out. LOL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
(female)

WarGerbil HB User
Re: Not-So Dissolvable Sutures

LOL! Well I'm relieved that I'm not the only freak!! I took my first Keflex a few hours ago and haven't noted any side effects, so hopefully between that and my new heatpack (I exploded my old one in the microwave last night. it's been one of those weekends!!) I can get this sucker out. I feel like I'm in one of the Alien movies or something...

ugh.. the feeling of a suture pulling out of your abdomen is CREEPY and PAINFUL! I had an abdominal drain (surgery #2 associated with my appendix), and it was sutured in place, and the surgeon said "Oh, it'll slip right out!" I started crying when he pulled on them it hurt so bad! Like being stung by bees with rubbing alcohol on their stingers whilst yanking your intestines. Not fun. I hope this isn't that bad!

Closed Thread