It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User
Bottled water...what...not good for you now??

Someone was telling me that there was something on the news that states that plastic bottled water, juices, milk, etc.. was harmful and contained carciogens in the plastic. Can someone confirm this? If this is true, is it true on EVERYTHING that is in plastic? What about those Betty Crocker single serve microwaveable deserts that you cook in the plastic bowl? What about the ice cream that comes in the plastic container? I also heard that you're not suppose to freeze anything in plastic because it gives off some kind of carcinogen thing. Anyone hear of these allegations? If it is true, I guess we are all limited as to what we can eat and drink and how sad that is!

Last edited by Katielyn; 10-02-2007 at 12:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
Re: Bottled water...what...not good for you now??

Yes, I think though I read that heat is what causes the carcinogens to be absorbed into the foods that's why you don't microwave in a plastic bag or container.

I think water bottles are fairly safe if not exposed to extreme heat. I don't know about the freezing issue, I guess that's something for me to look up. Bottled water is always getting a bad rap for this or that by some groups, I think mainly environmentalists who don't like the manufacture of plastic, but I'm thinking if we are conscience of always recycling our plastic then it wouldn't be as harmful.

Only buy spring water, however, because everything else is just purified tap water which is easy enough to do at home so usually not worth the extra money.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita View Post
Yes, I think though I read that heat is what causes the carcinogens to be absorbed into the foods that's why you don't microwave in a plastic bag or container.

I think water bottles are fairly safe if not exposed to extreme heat. I don't know about the freezing issue, I guess that's something for me to look up. Bottled water is always getting a bad rap for this or that by some groups, I think mainly environmentalists who don't like the manufacture of plastic, but I'm thinking if we are conscience of always recycling our plastic then it wouldn't be as harmful.

Only buy spring water, however, because everything else is just purified tap water which is easy enough to do at home so usually not worth the extra money.
So anotherwards, Betty Crocker single serve make in the microwave brownies are doing more harm than we think right? So, apparently you can't freeze anything in plastic or heat in plastic. Guess I won't be buying ice cream in the plastic containers.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
(female)

shala 64 HB User

hi
i had a paper through my email all about this,they say never freeze a bottle of water in a plastic bottle,also never microwave anything in plastic,i think it is ok to drink from a plastic bottle,as long as it has not been in the freezer first.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

glamour girl HB User

Totally agree with Shala. Same three tips are what i've read about here too. And i also saw it on T.V show that aired from the states there.

Closed Thread