It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
(female)

summer_star HB User
Getting your knee drained

what exactly happens?
there is water in your joint, and then what does the doctor do to get it out?
also what are the side effects and how long do they last.
and is it painful..
thank you

Old 10-07-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Getting your knee drained

I am assuming you have some level of 'effusion'?this is like a pocket of fluid that just sometimes forms within the knee when it is inflammed or injured in some way.you always have some level of actual fluid IN the joint,it is synovial fluid.it keeps things running smoothly and well lubricated.but the fluid you are referring to is just not supposed to be there so it just needs to be aspirated out with a needle.beleive me,it sounds alot worse than it actually is.i have had this done many times with my ongoing knee issues.do they know why you have developed this extra fluid yet or are they still working on that?my son had to have this done too way back when.they will generally give you a numbing agent like lidocaine first so you wont feel anything when they drain it.all they do then is pop the needle into the area that needs draining and just 'pull' it out with the syringe.pretty quickly done and overwith.just try not to actually 'look' at what they are doing,it makes it a bit easier.it is usually over before you know it.it usually just takes a few minutes.if you have any other questions,just ask,K?you'll be just fine with this. FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread