It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

leavontlb HB User
Occupational Hazzard: Fueler

Hello,

My husband has been a fueler for over 30 years constantly exposed to fumes. I can not convince him to go to a Dr. at all because he fears being kept out of work. However, I've been looking for things to read as far as prolonged exposure to diesil and other fuels with their common addatives. My husband is now walking with his toes curled to the ground, seems to be losing his memory almost like talking to an Alzheimers patient, he goes to the bathroom every 15 to 30 min. and that's just a few things. I wanted to know if there was anything specific to watch for to help me know when I need to really press him to the point of getting real angry about going to the Dr. He won't. He smells like fumes before he even gets out of his truck of the morning so I know he's constantly getting drenched in fuel. Is there anything I can read that will specifically tell me the long term hazzards to exposure to gasoline fumes??? He works on a strip mine and he has 13 to 15 hours a day. I was hoping to see if someone could point me in a direction to know what to look for.. He has an anger problem but I know it is due to whatever is going on with him healthwise because the things he gets rediculously angry over are petty things. Just needed some direction.. Thank You.. T

Old 10-10-2007, 11:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Occupational Hazzard: Fueler

leavontlb,

The symptoms you have already described are enough to indicate that your husband has problems that need to be addressed by a doctor. What I would do is make an appointment for him, describing to the office just what you have told us. Then inform your husband that he has an appointment with the doctor. Period. Refuse to discuss it. If he argues, respond with "the appointment is on Thursday at 10". Then walk a way or get busy with something else. Only if he breaks down and admits that he is afraid would I continue with the discussion, because his feelings are valid. All other topics (doctors are quacks, i'm fine, I'm not sick enough to see a doctor, I'll miss work, etc) should be ignored. "The appointment is on Thursday at 10".

I've done this a few times with my husband. He eventually learned that when I put my foot down I meant it. Sometimes my insistance that he see a doctor resulted in the doctor sending him home with a healthy report card. I remember one time when my husband was 40, I saw a show about prostate cancer, and made an appointment for him. He wasn't happy about it, but he showed up. The doctor asked "so why are you here?" My husband answered, "My wife sent me after seeing a show". The doctor laughed and said that lots of women must have seen that show because he was seeing a lot of men in his office for a prostate test all of a sudden. He told my husband to come back in 10 years.

I don't mean to trivialize your concerns. Your description certainly sounds like he really needs to see a doctor. Hopefully the doctor will say that it's something minor and easily treatable. But you won't know that until your husband goes in for tests. If you or I had those symptoms we'd certainly be in the doctor's office right away. But sometimes men need a bit of help getting themselves there. Make an appointment for him.

And let us know how it goes.

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I agree.. those symptoms are enough to warrant a visit. It may turn out it has no association to what he does for a living, but either way it's not normal and needs to be checked out. Good luck!

Old 10-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
(female)

leavontlb HB User

Thank you for your reply.. The symptoms I described are just a few. His muscles tighten up so hard that it pulls his foot or his hand that it looks like it's about to break. I've tried to make several appointments but he's afraid they'll fire him at work which with his coal company is a possibility even though he's been there over 30 years. I will keep trying but I also will keep trying to look for any particulars of long term exposure to those type of fumes. He doesn't recall accidents at work and I don't find out until much later. He forgets. I've spoke to the Dr. he goes to and they respond like he has to do it himself which put's me in a tough place. I can't force him I know but I'll just keep trying to get him to go in.. Thanks.. TLB

Last edited by leavontlb; 10-11-2007 at 03:50 PM.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
(female)

leavontlb HB User

Thank you, hopefully I can manage to get him to go in just to check things out but it will be a miracle. Still looking for information on long term exposure to fumes. Some of the things that happen.. like forgetting simple things.. going to the store to get a few things when he's already went. Having violent tremors while he sleeps like someone getting hooked up to an electric chair.. Anyway, thank you.. I'm trying to get him in there.. T.

Closed Thread