It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
(male)

kartman976 HB User
Bicycle Injury - Pitting Edema

Approximately 3 weeks ago I fell mountain biking which resulted in a couple scrapes and bruises from where my shin hit my pedal. A couple days after the accident, I noticed that when I pressed my shin with my finger, I could make indentations in my skin. I looked it up online and saw pitting edema is similar to what I have going on. Is this something that is related to my bicycle accident? Itís been 3 weeks now and I can still put dents in my shin that are ~1/4Ē deep and stay several minutes. Iím a healthy 27 year old male with no other medical conditions. Is it worth scheduling a doctor appointment for? There is no other pain, and the scrapes are nearly healed.

Thank You,

Jason

Old 10-18-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Bicycle Injury - Pitting Edema

if that lower leg actually looks bigger than the other one i would most definitely get this evaluated a bit more in depth.if you are indeed a healthy individual,you shouldn't have edema this far out post accident.it could just be swollen tissues from the actual trauma,but having it this far out just seems a bit odd to me.i would just make an appt with your doc to have it looked at.you could have caused more injury than you think you did.having no real pain can also be indicative of nerve injury.you just really do need to make sure everything is okay and healing normally.does the leg "look' okay color wise?is it hotter or colder than the other?does the edema go all the way down thru the foot or just in that specific shin area? FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
(male)

kartman976 HB User

My leg doesn't appear to be any larger than normal. Doesn't feel hot or cold. Color is normal. Just a little red where the scratches are healing up. I can still press on my shin and make dents. It really grosses my girlfriend out The "pitting edema" is only in the shin area. It doesn't go into my ankle or foot.

I scheduled a doctors appointment for Sunday. I'll post what I find out.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
(male)

kartman976 HB User

Went to the doctor today. He wasn't very concerned. Said that the shin has very little "meat" in front of it and when it was injured blood pooled in front of my shin. He diagnosed it as a hemotoma.... a bruise. For the most part it is 95% healed and is looking good

Old 10-22-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just an FYI here but if that area involved with the "hematoma' doesn't actually look bruised at all,then chances are it really isn't an actual hematoma(a hematoma is just a more secular type raised area of bruising,not an overall 'fluid filled' area).my best guess that really just fits with an actual injury is when any area of your body gets injured,an automatic type of reaction is fliud seepege from damaged vessels.it is not actual blood,just the fluid part.this realistically would 'fit' more with what you actually explained about how this looks.if there is not color change,there just cannot possibly be blood under there,you know what i mean?unless you have ALOT of fat or muscle there it just wouldn't make too much sense you know what i mean?i would just keep kind of a close eye on this for any strange type changes.something just doesn't 'sound' right about his actual Dx of what you actually have explained here.please keep me posted. FB

Closed Thread