It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
(female)

rgraf HB User
Electrical Sensations up spine

About six years ago during my last pregnancy, I began to have the strangest sensations going up my spine. It felt like little electrified fingers moving upward. When they got to the chest it seems that these "hands" moved into my chest and "hugged" my heart and lungs. I would lose my breath and not really be able to move for a minute or two. I went to the doc and he dismissed it as pregnancy issues. Now six years later I still have those feelings. But they are getting more intense. They are now going into my head and I get an extremely intense headache for about a minute. This scares me. I've been to several doctors. Most dismiss it and say that I'm looking for something because I've had several other health issues over the last few years. One thought it might be MS and did various tests. All came up negative. I've tried to get answers if my other issues (no thyroid, no parathyroid, diabetes) contribute to it, but I cannot get a straight answer.

Has anyone else ever had this or know anyone who does?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2007, 07:02 AM   #2
(female)

thirysomething HB User
Re: Electrical Sensations up spine

I have a family member with m.s.

what tests did you have run? did you have a spinal tap? mri? Have you seen a neurologist?

I do not want to suggest that it is M.S., but sometimes pregnancy can trigger it. Also, it took several dr's and a lot of years for my family member to get diagnosed. You would be surprised to find out that many people are diagnosed by their ent or eye dr.

You are your best and only advocate for your health. You know your body better than anyone...even the dr's. Put aside any questions they may have regarding hypocondria and keep pushing for answers.

I hope you get some answers soon. Best wishes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
(female)

smellen HB User

It definitely sounds like it's a nerve thing but it may not be as serious as MS. Has the doctor given you anything for nerve pain to see if that helps at all?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
(female)

alwaysitchyin08 HB User

I too have those "spine electrical" feelings. Mine started right after my daughter was born in 97 after having a c-section. Felt like someone had turned off the light switch. I have had numerous tests that you can't even spell, and the doctors still can't find anything. I seem to have them every day, with the electrical feelings up and down my spine , and arms and legs as well. I was tested for MS and sevceral other nerve disorders, but they all came out negative. I have been trying to bear with it for the last 10 years with neurontin and topamax. These drugs along with tramadol help mask the feelings. I definitely know something is up, but every doc I've gone to thinks I'm crazy. I'd trade their health for mine any day. During the last year or so , my feet have had no circulation in them. I had a "buckle" put in L-5 and S1 in 2000, but all it does is make you more immobile. I've also been to chiropractors where they claim that they can manipulate the nerves. It didn't help. Is there anyone out there with the same things that I have? I need help!!!!!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

did either one of you actually have a FULL top to bottom MRI done on your spines?there are many different types of possible spinal issues that could trigger nerve firings.its just a bit odd that they actually go "up' the spine and not down.thats very unusual in and of itself.are either one of you having any other odd symptoms or actual pain anywhere?tho you do have nerve impulses going up and down the spine bringing info to the brain,this really is kind of odd.the only thing i can possibly think of off hand that would be a possible place where this is actually occuring,would be within the actual cord itself.that is where some nerve impulses actually travel upwards. FB

Closed Thread