It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Reaction to antibiotic maybe?

Hi,

I dont know whats wrong with me.

I had to take the antibiotic Ciprofloxacin last week for 5 days for a UTI. Ihave taken them before and been fine, and it cleared up. The Doctor said the urine culture came back and that wasnt the right antibiotic to take for my bug.

About 2 days after finishing them i developed diarroreah, ive now had it 3 days, accompanied by not pains but tummy ache, windy, and achy. Ive tried to starve then tried to eat bland foods but every time i eat anything it gives me cramps and i need to go to the toilet again. I feel really weak and fed up. The Doc said today he thinks it has got something to do with the antibiotics i took, but ive stopped taking them now for over 4 days, he still says they can affect you after you have finished, as they can take a lot of good bacteria out of your stomach. They have sent off a stool sample (yuk) and i have to wait to see if there is a bug in that. In the meantime i dont know what to do , im worried and lethargic, from lack of food.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User
Re: Reaction to antibiotic maybe?

unfortunately that's one of the "not-so-fun" side effects of antibiotics that some people get. Cipro is a very powerful antibiotic and probably not the best choice for a UTI. Antibiotics kill not only bad bacteria, but the good as well which can cause problems with digestion. The biggest thing is to stay hydrated! I prefer Gatorade.. and soup is always good. Something that may help is yogurt, or to take an acidopholus (sp?) supplement. These help restore the healthy bacteria. If it's NOT the antibiotics and it is a virus instead, it still helps and you will just have to wait it out. Good luck, hope you feel better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Whenever you take antibiotics, it is good to take high-quality acidophilus. This will replace the good bacteria and help prevent yeast infections. The best kind to get are refrigerated. Most healthfood stores have them. Choose one that has a very high culture count (such as 10 billion).

Always wait at least two hours between taking the antibotic and the acidophilus. I suggest trying this to see if it helps.

Last edited by ticker; 10-24-2007 at 11:34 AM.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Hi Worrybucket,
I am posting with you on the "Cold and Flu" Board but I think that I can help you with this one.

Cipro is a good anti for UTI. It goes directly to the bladder to fight the infection.

However, I usually don't have a bad reaction to it but the last time I took it, I had the same reaction that you are having.

It took about 3 weeks to clear and I was not happy. I started to eat Yogurt with live bacteria and stayed on a bland diet for a week or so. Drank lots of water also.

After a week, I started to eat some fiber in the form of oatmeal. Any fiber will help form things up and you should be as good as new.

I am doing fine in that area now.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks twanger,

its going on and on 5 days now its driving me nuts, im worried its something else!!

waiting for a stool test to come back and hopefully they can tell whats going on and treat it, im fading away !!!

Old 10-28-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
(male)

AHR HB User

That Cipro stuff is crap! Its Toxic. Same thing happened to me. Health went
down hill after taking

Old 10-29-2007, 02:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

AHR

i agree with you, ive taken it once before and it was fine, but this time it knocked me for six. I was probably going to get a stomach bug but because the antibiotic is so strong i thing it ripped the good bacteria out of my stomach and made it much worse, and then the Doc told me that antibiotic was not one that could kill the type of bug i had originally for the UTI grrrrrr.

Im trying to get my stomach back on track, then i really should take another med to make sure the uti has gone, but i really dont want to , i feel poisoned by these meds, i hate them.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

And,,,,

Im worrying that i may have pased the bug from my blader to my bowel. All seems a little bit coincidental doesnt it?

Closed Thread