It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User
Question Worried and Desperate

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully giving me some advice on where to go from here. I am a 37 yo female. For the past year I have felt ill. Like you'd feel if you were coming down with something. I went to my family doctor who did a physical and bloodwork.....everything was fine according to her- except I needed to lose some weight which I have(30 lbs) so I'm at a normal weight now. I'm always tired....not sleepy more a lack of stamina. This past April I woke up in the night with a fever of 103.8 - went to my doctor again, she said bronchitis although I had no coughing, and put me on antibiotics which I took for 10 days but still did not feel better. Ever since that happened I have run a low grade fever of 99-100 degrees all the time. My hands and feet will be very cold when my temp is elevated. I went back to her twice and she treated me as if I were faking - how someone fakes a fever I dont know. I then went to an internist in late July who did more bloodwork and an extensive exam. All bloodwork was normal including the hormone panel he ran. He said my fever wasnt of concern to him as it was low grade. I asked him about cancer screening but he said he couldnt order that with no other symptoms aside the fatigue and fever. Also I have been having a great deal of hair loss. No bald spots or receeding hairline, more an all over thinning. I have long hair, and only about half as much as I did 6 months ago. So basically it's fatigue or lack of stamina, persistent low grade fever and hairloss. I never feel well upon waking in the morning, it's like I didnt sleep at all although I dont wake during the night and am in bed for 8 hours. I'm tired of doctors sending me away telling me I'm fine when I know this is not normal. I have done some research and it seems with a fever lasting this long they would have tested me for something to determine the origin. I'm very worried.....very tired.....frustrated. I dont know where to go, what kind of doctor might be able to diagnose me. I would greatly appreciate ANY information, advice or thoughts on this - I'm expecting the worse as I'm quite sure this must be serious.

Thank You

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2007, 02:35 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Lutheran122 HB User
Re: Worried and Desperate

You can't let up on these doctors , if you feel like crap go back and force them to do more extensive testing. Call your local hospital and ask about cancer screening or do some research on the internet and find out how to go about getting screened for cancer. A constant low grade fever means something is out of whack somewhere. Don't let some doctor turn you away , if necessary change doctors again and tell the new doctor exactly what has happened in the past months so they know up front what has been done already and that you still don't feel well. I hope you feel better , I also have some of the same issues as you but I did have a few bad blood tests though my last one was pretty damn good for some reason. I am going to a hematologist to get a better idea on whats happening. Maybe you should do the same..or even an endocrinologist. Good luck.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Your symptoms (regardless of your bloodwork) sound like thryoid to me. Specifically, hypothyroidism.

The three symptoms you are experiencing are among the symptoms you can experience with hypothyroidism. Your doctor sounds like an idiot to me - treating you for bronchitis (minus the most prevalent symptom, the cough) yet won't consider thyroid, with very prominent symptoms. If your doctor is using what are now considered the "old" ranges (and he/she probably is) for your blood work it could very well being showing you normal when you are not.

IMHO you should find another doctor who works with the newer ranges or go to an endocrinologist. Certainly, someone who will take your symptoms and treat them seriously. I also recommend that you post your symptoms and questions over on the thyroid board. There are many knowledgable lay people over there that know exactly how exasperating it is dealing with doctors that don't work with the correct lab ranges, who think they are hypochondriacs, and that don't have a clue when it comes to thyroid
health.

Lutheran122 mentioned that a constant low grade fever is a sign something is out of whack and he is correct. Your thyroid balances virtually everything in your body. If it is not functioning properly it will throw your whole body out of balance or as he says "whack". I personally think your problem is something very simple - the thyroid. However, a doctor that works with old out date ranges takes forever to get you diagnosed. Try to find a relatively young doctor under 45 that works with the new ranges. Additionally, there are doctors of ALL ages who are just downright incompetent.

BTW - I'm hypothyroid. It is a very easy condition to treat. You simply take a tiny hormone each day to replace what your own thyroid has stopped producing.

Good luck!

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 10-25-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
(male)

Duncanguy HB User

Almost all problems have some viral link. There are several herpes viruses (about 7) which (more or less) even when "dormant" create a low level immune response. Generally, such viruses are discouraged by the amino acid Lysine. It is not restricte and is inexpensive. Duncanguy

Closed Thread