It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
(female)

jete23 HB User
Exclamation post-op infection???

Last week I had surgery to remove the rod that was in my leg from when I broke it over the summer. I had alot of problems with bleeding through the stitches after and had to go back to them to change them. Afterwards, I followed all the other directions.

Anyway, yesterday I woke up feeling really dizzy and nauseated. Then my throat started to bother me, and I figured I was just coming down with something. All I've wanted to do actually since the surgery is sleep. Today, I really didn't feel any better, or any worse for that matter, just blah!

So, I haven't had any dressings on it for the past 3 days because its been over a week. Tonight we came home from dinner though and there was a spot on my sock that was about 2 inches round over the incision that looked like it was a yellowish-orange fluid. So, I went to clean my incision up and stuff. I pressed down on it and alot of this thick, clear, yellow fluid came shooting out. My leg hurt a bit tonight when we got home but I figured it was from my boots I was wearing.

Kinda worried b/c I didn't have any of these problems when they put the rod in my leg in July, and of course, its Friday night and the dr. is off til Monday. Do you think this is something normal that will go away or do we think this infection is in my bloodstream or something, and that's why I feel like crap?

Old 10-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sam78 HB User
Re: post-op infection???

jete, clear yellow fluid is called serous fluid. It is harmless. It is likely from swelling around your ankles and it seeps out the incision since its open. If it was ***** then it would indicate infection, but everything you said would not indicate to me infection. Stay off your feet!!!!!! I would say you are either coming down with something or your body is just tired from what its been through. Take it easy and continue to watch it, but rest assure that clear fluid does NOT indicate infection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2007, 12:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

I would still go get it looked at, it is better to be safe than sorry... hope you feel better soon ....Mandy

Old 10-27-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

honestly,without actually seeing what that fluid really looks like,i wouldn't take chances and say its completly harmless and not an issue.you really should contact your surgeons office,even tho its the weekend,they DO have on call surgeons who stay in contact with the office(just for situations like yours) and will be able to call you.they may suggest a trip to an urgent care or ER just for an evaluation.are you running any level of fever,even low grade?this 'could' possibly be becomming infected,just not quite there yet.while this could also be normal for your surgery,i personally wouldn't take any chances with it.if it is infected in any way,it would cause you further problems down the road and with the healing time if anti Bs are not started at some point.you just need to know for certain.they can also culture that fluid and see if it 'grows" anything from possible bacteria.i wouldn't take any chances.just call the surgeons office and wait to hear from a surgeon.they will be able to tell you what you really need to do.hopefully this is just fine but you just need to be certain,thats all.please keep us posted on how things are going for you. FB

Old 10-27-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
(male)

lvlagic5538 HB User

I have kinda had the same thing happen to me. Except I had screws and a plate put in. I had 3 areas where there is a stitch outside of the skin. I have had a yellowish/whiteish fluid come out when I have pressed down on/near the stitch. I was wondering myself if I have an infection. The 2 areas are healed now but there is 1 left and the stitch was larger on the outside and it is a bit red around it. I put neosporin on it (not sure if I was supposed to) and that caused the stitch/scab to fall off. Now its just a scab, but it is still red around it. What do they do for infections after surgery? My suregery was over 1 month ago. On september 18th.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:59 AM   #6
(female)

jete23 HB User

Fluid still comes out of it if I press down on it, but now its more of an orangey color, as if there's blood mixed in with it. Im just gonna call the ortho tomorrow and make an appt.

To Sam, my surgery was less than 2 weeks ago. If you are still having problems 5 weeks later, I would def. go to the dr.

Closed Thread