It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
(male)

byrdganggoonies HB User
Scalp flaking and scabs on head

ive been losing my hair for a while now....first started noticing about a year ago. have lost the temples and think my hairline is higher although ive always had a somewhat high hairline lookin at older pictures. ive been shedding tons and tons of hair over the past couple months and its thinning all over the top (diffuse thinning)

now, i didnt want to put this in the hair problems cuz it could be a skin problem too. i had been seein lots of flakes in my hair and on the ends of hairs that fell out. suspected it was dandruff and thought i could have seborrheic dermatitis so i started using nizoral shampoo. i think the flakes i am seeing are actually dead skin and not dandruff

just recently ive noticed on my forehead scab-like developing around the temples and hairline on the left side. my skin is also literally peeling off on my forehead. my face (cheeks, chin, nose) have gotten extremely red too and ive tried various products that have done nothing (aloe vera gel, vitamin e, eucerin). i still get ocassional acne breakouts too and im 23 and never really had a problem with acne before.

went to the doctor a couple weeks ago about hairloss and because ive suspected i might have a parasitic infection. she said it might be yeast build up and gave me a cream that is used to treat ringworm. the doctor didnt say anythin about my hair loss and pretty much ignored me in regards to that.

had blood tests done too when i was there...havent heard back yet about the results

Last edited by byrdganggoonies; 10-28-2007 at 11:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2007, 06:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
Re: Scalp flaking and scabs on head

You might consider going to a trichologist. That's a dr that specializes in hair problems. They're pretty good at figuring out reasons for why this is happening, including infections, nutritional deficiencies, etc.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
(male)

byrdganggoonies HB User
Re: Scalp flaking and scabs on head

never heard of a trichologist, thanks. i was thinkin it would probably be best to seea dermatologist and they could tell me if theres a problem w/my scalp other than MPB

i heard derms were expensive to see though and my health coverage isnt good...

Closed Thread