It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
(female)

HayaSofia HB User
What is costochrondrits

What is costochrondrits

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User
Re: What is costochrondrits

Costochondritis is a condition that causes chest pain due to inflammation of the cartilage and bones in the chest wall. Also called Tietze's Syndrome, costochondritis occurs when there is inflammation at the junction of the rib bone and breastbone (sternum). At this junction, there is cartilage joining these bones. This cartilage can become irritated and inflamed. Depending on the extent of the inflammation, costochondritis can be quite painful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Very painful. I first had it when I was very young and lifting my babies. One day my chest felt like it was on fire and sore. The Doc told me I would always have it. Someday it was fine and never bothered me and some times it hurt if I lifted a box of Kleenex. Lots of people have it so don't worry.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:25 AM   #4
(female)

IrishPrinces426 HB User

I agree with the other two posts. I was diagnosed with it back in July. My doctor told me to be careful when if I do any lifting. I have also noticed that stress seems to make it worse.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
(female)

twells HB User

I had a round of bad chest pain over the weekend and assumed it was costochondritis. The pain was especially crushing in nature when I stood up from a sitting or laying down position. Does that sound typical? The pain came on from out of the blue and ended almost the same way 2 days later. Comments? Right side by the way -- not left.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:43 AM   #6
(male)

asshu HB User

1 sided, you say? If it comes back, gets painful, or you become breathless then I suggest you take yourself to A and E (ER?) as you could well be looking at a pneumothorax (collapsed lung).

Old 11-06-2007, 05:39 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Twells,
No, costo is not a crushing pain. It sometimes feels like your chest is on fire because it is so tender to the touch, or inflamed and sore. With movement it is very painful. I would get that checked so you know for sure.

Closed Thread