It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
(male)

smjbrules HB User
Need help understanding blood test results...

Hi,

I'm new to the board so let me give you a brief intro of who I am. I'm a 24 year old, recently married guy. Over the course of the last few years, I've given up school, exercise and many other things to a job in grocery management. (Quick, easy to get into, and more $$ than I was getting elsewhere) In doing this, I've gone from a muscular 200 lbs in around 2001 (I'm 5'9" ) to a whopping 275lbs currently. It's like I'm the same guy as before but wearing several layers of clothes on top hahaha. Anyway, I've been offered a much better paying job, one that required a complete physical. Part of this ordeal was a BLOOD TEST lol I just got the results back today and just need some advice and medical insight as to what I'm looking at. I plan on seeing a physician once my new health plan and payroll kicks in, but please tell me what you can based on this test!
Anyways, the medical center sent me a copy of the blood test results with a later saying I need to follow up with a family physician saying "Need follow up PCP". Many things here are mid-range, so I'm going to list what is high/low, the actual value, and what the report says is normal. Here goes:

My blood pressure was 128/82 Pulse of 88bpm

Attribute Actual Value "Normal" value
--------- ------------- ------------
Protein 8.5 gm/dl 6.0-8.3
Globulin 3.7 gm/dl 2.3-3.5
Alkaline Phosphatase 139 U/L 30-122
ALT 58 U/L 7-40
Cholesterol 249!!!!!! 0-200
Triglycerides 190 40-160
HDL Cholesterol 35 40-70
LDL Cholesterol Cacl. 176 <130
VLDL 38 8-32
LDL/HDL ratio 5.03 0-3.0
WBC 11.91 5-10
MCV 81.2 82-96
Total Neutrophils Abs 8.2 2-8
Glucose 100 65-110

So that's really everything that stands out. Is there any more information you guys need? I need to know what I'm at risk for. I understand my cholesterol is extremely high and I've already started taking steps to correct this. if there is ANY other information you may have PLEASE share. I mean, is there a chance that i may be becoming or may already be diabetic?

Thanks guys for all your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Need help understanding blood test results...

if you were actually diabetic,your blood sugar would show a much much higher amount than what you have here.not saying it still is not a possibility tho given your weight,but you are at much higher risk just becasue of the weight.it kind of just goes with the territory.

my biggest concerns would be your out of range hepatic labs(along with your lipids).this could indicate a possible liver issue going on.it would take a bit more in depth testing along with a simple ultrasound done on your liver just to really check out how it looks and how well the blood flow is in it.or thru it.

just an FYI here but given the more sudden weight gain,it wouldn't hurt to have your thyroid checked out for possible hypothyroid.unless this was already done?it would be stated on your labs as the "TSH"?you just really need a bit more in depth liver testing and a chat with your primary about all the out of range results and what they could possibly mean for you.you just need to know what it is you are actually dealing with here.i wish you luck with this and hope the results will normalize for you.the hepatics could be out of range becasue of many possible liver issues some not too serious,and correctable.you just really do need to know.please keep me posted on how things are going and what you find out,K? FB

Old 11-11-2007, 10:48 AM   #3
(male)

TheAdventure HB User

You have almost all the markers of a future heart attack.

Extremely poor Cholesterol levels and ratios
High Wbc (indicates inflammation)
High Glucose (risk of diabetes)
High BP for your age, should be around 110 or below.

Start eating a healthy diet of vegetables, fruit, nuts, good fats, omega 3 , extra virgin olive oil, lean meats and start exercising.... Also aim for a lower calorie diet as it's very powerful in protecting against diseases like diabetes and heart disease.

The only thing on your side now is you're young, so sort it out NOW. you DO NOT have to have diabetes, it is 100&#37; preventable, and so is heart disease almost always preventable.

You need to lower that BMI and get it in the middle of healthy range, around 22.

Last edited by TheAdventure; 11-11-2007 at 10:51 AM.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just wondering here.the glucose i read stated 100,and totally within the normal ranges(between 65-110).did i miss something?thats always a possibility.i definitely do agree with the risk for heart attack tho.some very strong lifestyle changes really do need to be implemented,and soon. FB

Old 11-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
(male)

TheAdventure HB User

Glucose range has been lowered by many labs. 100mg/dl and over is now the 'pre-diabetic' range... and with glucose that high you will develop it at some point if you carry on...

Closed Thread