It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
(male)

lvlagic5538 HB User
Discoloration

Im not sure if this is normal or not. I have had my cast of for 2 weeks or so now. Currently I have discoloration still. The area that the discoloration is: (The best way to describe it is where a person would inject a drug into them. In the wrist area when you turn your hand over.) It is still noticeably purple and the purpleish color extends up to the palm of my hand. Once again, I had fractured my wrist in 2 separate places. My cast has been off since October 22nd. My therapist measured my wrists and my right one was 6"3/4 and my broken one was 6"18/20. Slightly bigger. I also had a torn ligament. What are your opinions on this?? Please help if you can.

P.S. I also get an occasional crack noise that occurs when I bend my wrist. However, it does not hurt when it happens.

Thanks

Old 11-11-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Discoloration

are you feeling any pain of any kind there?there are some conditions that could arise from the type of injury you recieved,but most come with some very extreme pain out of proportion to the extent of injuy.was this discoloration there before or is it new?any numbess or tingling there or around the area of injury?did they do an x ray when they removed your cast just to see how things were healing?this ALWAYS needs to be done upon cast removal. FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
(male)

lvlagic5538 HB User
Re: Discoloration

They did take a X-Ray upon removing the cast. It did turn out healed. (But, my first x-ray for this, when I first did it. It barely barely showed anything and the dr. sent me to get a MRI. The mri showed I had 2 separate fractures [metacarpal and radius] and I also had a disrupted schaplunate ligament which is associated with a tear and something with the extensor tendons.) The discoloration was there when I got my cast taken off and it is still there today. I am having therapy for my wrist. When I was evaluated, I was credited with 2lbs of grip with my hand although it was just below 2lbs. I have a 47lb grip with my right hand. However, I do feel as if I am getting a somewhat stronger grip, but slowly. When I do my therapy, I have 3lb weights I use with the movement. Any pain I get is on the outer part of the wrist and it goes up to the palm of my hand. I also get the same feeling sometimes on the opposite side but it is just the outer part and does not go anywhere else. When I feel my hand with my fingers, there is a noticeable difference. I have like a small bump like thing on the top of my hand on the left side. I am supposed to be going back to the Dr. on the 13th for a checkup where he said he will send me for another MRI. I was reading about the torn ligament and it said somewhere near 3months in certain occasions it takes to heal. The doctor mentioned about possibly have some sort of small surgery for it. However, the doctor that performed my operation on my collarbone that was fixed by 8 screws and a plate feels different about it. He said it is something common (the metacarpal and radius fractures) and that I should give it 3 months and if it bothers me then go and get it checked out? <- haha. This doctor is the one that released me back to work with no therapy after my surgery. I was evaluated by my therapist and my therapist called my Dr. and asked for a prescription b/c I have a little less mobility and great weakness.

Last edited by lvlagic5538; 11-11-2007 at 11:24 AM.

Closed Thread