It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 05:53 AM   #1
(female)

smals212 HB User
Unhappy blacking out

yesterday i had to get some blood work done for my yearly physical. i had to fast for 8 hours. i was fine during the time the nurse was taking blood, but a minute or two after the needle was out, i started seeing spots and i began to black out. this doesn't always happen, but it has happened before. once when i had mono and they took blood, and twice when i tried to give blood (needless to say, the american red cross won't be seeing me any time soon ) do you think it's just my fear of needles or is it because i'm missing something in my system? the nurses were concerned i was reacting that way even with the fasting, and i was wondering also if there is something i can do to prevent this in the future? thanks!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User
Re: blacking out

I had that happen once during a blood test. I think, in my case, it was due to a fear of needles and the fasting required for the blood test.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
(female)

darkwater HB User

I first knew that I had an issue with seeing my blood almost 20 years ago when I saw it shooting into a vial when I was getting the bloodwork done before getting married. I was 20 years old and had never had blood drawn before, so I sat there staring directly at the vial as it filled with blood. I quickly felt the room start to spin and like I was going to loose consciousness and fall out of the chair. But I shut my eyes tight and gripped the other handle of the chair to keep myself from tipping over and just forced myself to take deep breaths until my head stopped spinning and I knew I wasn't going to black out. Ever since that episode, I have a policy of never looking when they stick me or when the vial is attached to my arm to collect the blood. I have no problem with getting stuck with needles, just with seeing my blood shooting out. I think it is more the idea of seeing my blood, on which I rely for my very precious life, shooting out into that vial and knowing that if enough of it came out, my life would flow out with it. In your logical mind you know that the nurse would never allow that to happen to you, but I think this is a primal reaction to seeing one's own blood, just an underlying feeling that your blood is supposed to stay in your body and not out, out is bad.

Here's to not picking yourself up off the floor in any doctor's office anytime soon.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

I always thought it was pretty normal for a person to get lightheaded/dizzy after giving blood.. that's why they have people lay down while donating. They usually have a person slowly sit up and rest for a minute, or even continue laying down for a minuate after the blood is taken. It's also why they have people drink juice and eat something sweet after giving blood.. to replenish you! I know when donating they take more than just having a blood test taking.. but having fasted for 8 hours before means your body is already weaker than it would be if you had eaten regularly. So the tiny amount of blood taken from a weaken/no fueld body would effect someone like that. Everyone reacts differently, and having a fear of needles wouldn't help any. I've given blood so many times... if I stand up too soon after the needle is removed I get a headrush and slightly dizzy. once after donating blood I felt fine so I was walking around all over the school with a friend.. came back to the gym (where the donations were) an hour later to hold her hand while she gave.. I was standing there and all of a sudden I wasn't feeling well at all, got really hot... I started to walk away to sit down and got tunnle vision and saw spots... if I hadn't stopped walking I would have passed out completely. But I stood there for a moment and took a few deep breaths. I believe I reacted that way b/c of being too active too soon after giving blood.
I'm rambling now... saying that in my experience your reaction is normal.. and unless you're fainting on a regular basis or during physical activity, ect. then you shouldn't worry.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I think it is both, I am the same exact way. I also have low blood sugar, so I don't know if it is possible for me to fast that long without getting dizzy within a few hours and getting to the point my ears are ringing and I feel warm, yet cold, and my eyesight starts to go. The thought of having that blow flow out of my veins and into a tube disgusts me in a nauseating way. Are you hypogylcemic at all, or have low blood sugar? That really does it for me. I went on a birth control pill so I wouldn't bleed so much because that also made me sick with hypoglycemia.

Closed Thread